Thursday, January 3, 2008

A Book Review

I told Jim he should write this post, and he said "No, I'd have to be all witty and writery". "Writer-y" - I thought that was pretty witty, but fine, I'll write it, Jim. Jim often has dreams about being unprepared. He dreams he is unprepared at work, and sometimes at school. But, the dream he had a few nights ago, about being unprepared, takes the cake. He dreamt that we had enrolled Dylan in some high falootin, advanced preschool. One day, Dylan wasn't at preschool, but Jim was there, sitting indian style, amidst the preschool geniuses. The teacher was conducting a review of a children's book with the geniuses, going to each child to get their take on the ins and outs of the book. Jim was sweating it out, and going into a panic, and when the teacher got to him, he had to admit, he hadn't read the book. UNPREPARED!! The teacher told him he would have to do a book report on the book, and shamed him in front of the geniuses.

When he told me about the dream, I couldn't stop laughing. I could picture him sitting there, with the beads of sweat dripping down the back of his neck, as he prayed the teacher wouldn't call on him. I could picture the sheepish, embarassed look on his face when he had to mumble "I didn't actually read the book", as the geniuses gasped and shook their head, pitying him for his foolishness. I could picture him, face all red, shuffling his feet, as he asked me to help him with the book report!

When Dylan was about 5 months old I joined a club for moms. They have lots of different activities. One, is a book club, in which they get together once a month to review the book the've all been reading that month. I love books, and all, but when am I gonna find the time to read a book with 100 or more pages? I can't keep up with the magazines I get, or even the blogs I want to read! My idea of a book review, at this point in my life, would go something like this...

Today we are going to review, Good Night Gorilla, by Peggy Rathmann.





Yikes! The gorilla stole the zoo keeper's keys! What will happen next?! I'm at the edge of my seat already!


We already get clues that the zoo keeper is absent minded. The keys are color coded! Very ingenious - bet his wife thought of that.


Jim asked me one day, "When you read it to Dylan, what do you call the guy?" "The zoo keeper, what else?", I replied. "He has a name tag, you know", Jim remarked. And I say my husband is not observant. How the heck did I miss that? Oh, and also, what is wrong with Joe's fingers?


The zoo keeper, Joe, doesn't hear a gorilla, elephant, lion, hyena, giraffe, and armadillo walking behind him? Um, okay.


You notice in this picture the wife is on the side of the bed?


In this one, she is in the middle. So, how did the gorilla get in, and steal her pillow, without her noticing? Her husband must really smell when he gets home, for her to not notice a gorilla in bed next to her. He must be pretty hairy, also.




Does the wife wake up the clueless husband, push his sorry ass out of bed, and tell him to take all the animals back to the zoo? No! She does it herself, because she knows, to get things done right, you have to do it yourself. This part, at least, I find to be very realistic.


Does the clueless husband have any idea of his blunder, or of the fact that his wife has saved the day once again? Nope. That Peggy Rathmann knows what she is talking about. Great book. I highly recommend it. (Bet you're wishing you wrote this now, huh, Jim?)

19 comments:

Pam said...

ha ha ha! I love your book review! And how friggin' true! My hubby slept through Riley's crazy screaming fits last night for 3 hours before I finally went in, pushed him and said, "I NEED your help now". Of course he got up to help...but how did he not notice?? Oh, those men. Anyway, great book review---I loved it!

Also, about your comment on my blog....I would say if Dylan is sleeping at night you are okay. With both my kids, night wakings was the clue- I just chalked it up to other things with Riley. Ashlyn always had a fever, but Riley did not. I would say though if you are concerned...it is always better to check with the doctor. Better safe then sorry....huh, how ironic is that? The lady who missed the massive ear infection telling you to play it safe...yeah, I am such an expert! (that is total sarcasm, but I'm tired so it may be missing the mark!)

I hope he feels better...the sore bum is no fun at all so I hope that heals well too!

Robyn said...

LOL, I'll never read this book the same again. The mouse is quite the friend carrying the banana for gorilla the whole story.

Burgh Baby said...

Would you believe I have never read that book? I don't know how it has escaped la casa de Super-Reader, but it has. Now I will know what's going on even if I don't actually read the words, which is pretty likely to happen, what with the Toddler flipping pages so fast I can't see one word, let alone all of them.

Military Mom said...

That was so cute, the dream and the review. Love how you put the feminine spin on it!

dawn klinge said...

That's one of the best book reviews I've read- very funny. I never thought about that book that way before, it's much more interesting now.

Cathy said...

Ok, I went through a lot of trouble just to leave a comment, it has been so long ago, I couldn't remember my password! Of course the way I am now, it could have been 5 minutes ago and I wouldn't remember! I can not wait untill the day I can buy a book that is by you and illustrated by Jim! I will buy them even though my children are not little anymore! I'll tuck them away for the grandkids! Uh, that just sent a shiver up my spine!

Jen said...

Pam, I think I just got paranoid. I've heard of sooo many people missing them, and that is a big fear of mine. He seems better today. Thanks.

Robyn, Jim just asked me last night why the mouse is carrying around that banana! Glad you told us! Who knew there was so much going on in one children's book?!

BBM, Now I will make you do a book report. Did you not notice there is almost no dialogue in this book?

Military mom, Yep, I should've been born during the feminist movement because I would've fit right in. Thanks for stopping by!

Dawn, Jim informed me after he read the post, "The woman didn't do it right, either, because the gorilla came home with her too!" Guess he does have a point there.

Cathy, Grandkids! Eek! I really hope you get the chance to buy that book someday. After making the Christmas card together, though, I'm not sure we should ever work together! Thanks for commenting. Hope you are all doing well.

Burgh Baby said...

There IS almost no dialogue. Good grief I am doing a crap job of paying attention lately. I wonder why?

I might have to steal your idea for a post sometime in the future. Alexis was gifted a Dr. Seuss book I had never seen before (it was Oblivious' son's book that she dug out so it's circa 1972). The book has multiple references to bunnies doin' it. I can't get through two pages without laughing my butt off. "Funny Bunny had far too many brothers and sisters . . . "

Jen said...

Ah, yes. P.J. decided he didn't want to be a bunny anymore, so he went to live with the...Funny book! I used to have it memorized I read it so much. I might do more book reviews from time to time, since I have been collecting children's books since way before Dylan's birth.

Joanna said...

That's funny and right on the money. Wife does it and no dialogue from the man, hmmm.

Lijy said...

hi..it’s the first time I read your blog, and its really amazing. The first pic of Dylan made me sad. but he so so cute in it, and that too smiling happily. he is a very brave boy. I happy that the helmet has come off. I should congratulate you too, for being so patient about this whole thing. I have a 11 month old son, Jason, and I get panicky when he gets a slight fever. I think if i was in your place I would have done nothing but cry.
Wish you and your family a happy new year, and may this year bring lots and lots of joy (making up for the tough time you had last year)

Kellan said...

What a great post and story about your husbands dream! Great review of this good book, too! Thanks Jen. See ya. Kellan

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

That is frieking hilarious! Yes, my Hubby is also clueless at times and seems to do things slightly half-off, but at the same time he's a good guy and I love him (Must say this. heckled him horribly on my blog and feel guilty because he really is a great guy)

Shellie said...

That's the kind of book that I read! Love the dream!

JCK said...

You are HILARIOUS! I love this book review of Good Night Gorilla! And the story about your husband's dream is really sad. Funny, but sad. HILARIOUS! :)

Cecily R said...

The dream-hilarious.

The book review-brilliant.

Jen said...

Lijy, Thanks for reading, and for the nice comments. Hope to see you again.

righteoustetris said...

I love children's books! Very cute review!

Jen said...

Rachel,
Thanks. By the way, thanks so much for the movie recommendation. I loved it! It was funny, quirky, and heartwearming all at once. It is rare that Jim and I are able to both enjoy the movie that much.