Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Ding Dong, The Helmet's Off

For those of you new here, Dylan was diagnosed with torticollis on March 14th, 2007, just a little before turning 4 months old. For the first four months of the poor kid's life, he had colic. I'm not sure how I got through that, but I did. So, that was finally over, and then we learned he would need to start physical therapy for the torticollis once a week. That started the therapy sessions, the exercises, the stretches, and the doctor visits. At his 4 month pediatrician visit, we also learned he has eczema, probably inherited from me (sorry Dylan).

On June 15th, at almost 7 months of age, Dylan started wearing a helmet. The torticollis caused him to always lay on his head a certain way, which caused his head to be flat in the back. He was also born with a hematoma, (basically a blood blister on his head), which also affected his head shape. Then we added the visits to the helmet place to have it adjusted, about twice a month.

I'm sure you can guess who the majority of these responsibilities fell on. I'm exhausted by it all. But, not Dylan. He has taken it all in stride, from the very first therapy session, to the very first time we put the helmet on. Honestly, him wearing the helmet couldn't have gone any better. I'm the one who has been annoyed by the darn thing. I was so sick of the questions, the stares, the looks of pity, every stinkin' place I took him. I was sick of the 45 minute drive to the place to get the adjustments, where I would try to keep Dylan entertained and still when he needed to be, usually for an hour each time!

I will say this. It was a love/hate relationship I had with that helmet. Every time my crazy, fearless kid would dive head first off the couch, I would sing its praises. When he was just learning to walk, and was extremely unsteady on his feet, I hugged it, and kissed it, and called it George.

2 days of wearing the helmet..


During the under, over, and everywhere in between stage I loved that helmet...


When cruising, it's always safer to wear a helmet...


The poor kid had to be put in here 4 times for scans of his head - can you say "claustrophobia"?


Preparation for the final scan...


For 6 months, two weeks, and 2 days I waited, and on Dec. 31st, the last day of 2007, the day was finally here! Look out world, because here comes Dylan with his (mostly) round head! I'm so proud of you, Dylan! (When the therapy sessions are over, I'm probably throwing you the party of all parties).

16 comments:

Aunt Becky said...

Adorable. He looks amazing. That must have been so stressful for you guys. Glad you made it through it with your sense of humor intact!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Dylan! What a wonderful way to start the year. He is so handsome - whether is head is perfectly round or not. Hats of to you, Momma for persevering through all of that - the things we do for our children!

Anonymous said...

He looks so great!! Great news that the helmet is off now. I can imagine it's been a stressful time. Having dealt with a chronic childhood illness I do know a little what all those tests and doctor's appointments and WAITING can be like ... so glad your ordeal is over!

Cecily R said...

Oh he is so stinkin' cute!! What a great way for him and you to start the year--helmet free. Congrats to everyone for making it!!

Burgh Baby said...

Woohoo! Be gone with the helmet! Although, I do have to say, he is stinkin' cute with it or without it.

Way to go, Dylan, and way to go to you, Jen!

Elsie Button said...

gosh, you have been throught it. but how brilliant now! and fab pictures with captions!

by the way, thanks so much for the award - i am really touched!

The Girls' Mommy said...

YAY YAY YAY! That's so exciting!

Pam said...

Yeah for Dylan! What a way to start the new year!! Bye, bye helmet and all the trips! What a great mom you are!

Janet said...

Bless your heart (both of you!). I'm so happy for you that that phase is over. I am grateful every day that neither of my kids had any medical difficulties, since the nearest reliable medical care is 2 1/2 hours away.

Kellan said...

Woo Hoo!!!! Way to go Dylan! And Mom! He is a doll! See ya. Kellan

Joanna said...

Oh he is a cutie!! Snoopy happy dance for all! High five Jen, you did it.

Anonymous said...

Hooray!!!! I'm so happy for you both. I know how annoying/stressful torticollis can be, and we got off easy since Henry didn't need a helmet. This is a great step, and soon you'll be done with PT too.

The helmetless photo is adorable. He's such a cutie!

Jen said...

Thanks to everyone for the support! I appreciate it. I can't wait to write the one when the therapy/stretches are done.

Shellie said...

Whoo hoo! Hope we can chuck the therabite someday at our house!

V said...

hi,

My son recently started wearing the helmet 1 week ago. I am in the Netherlands and the helm looks a little different. There is no big hole at the top part of the head. Instead, there's about 12 holes of about the diameter of a thumb. The problem is, he also has ecezema on his head. Sometimes i see a lot of puss on his head due to the eczema. I read that Dylan also had eczema and I was wondering it it was also on his head and if so, how did you manage to do it?

I can't wait for the helm to be off. Dylan looks so handsome :)

Regards,
Verline

Jen said...

Hi Verline,
Luckily, just about the only place Dylan doesn't get ezcema is on his head and face, so that wasn't a problem. During the summer months, his head got so sweaty, and when we took the helmet off, his head sure did stink! I am very glad we did it, though, as he looks so much better now. I'm sorry your son has to wear one, but I commend you for doing it. Hang in there! (My only suggestion would be to wash his hair less often - we only bathe Dylan once a week, as the baths seems to aggravate his ezcema).

`