Thursday, March 18, 2010

If Ever It Were Time To Leave A Comment

As I mentioned last week, many moons ago I was an art major.  Some of the people majoring in other subjects thought that we had it pretty easy.  They thought that while they were reading chapter after chapter, and studying for tests, that we were just painting the days away.  They didn't know about the critiques.

In my art classes, every so often, it was critique day.  On that day, we would each line, or hang our work up on one wall, and then the torture would begin.  When it was time for everyone to critique my work, I would do an inner pep talk to appear confident, but in truth, I was sweating and ready to collapse from the anticipation.  When people would say something critical about my work it was tough.  But, the absolute worst was when the teacher would ask for opinions and the room would fall silent!  I'm telling you, I would rather a person say it was the worst piece of junk they ever saw, than to say nothing.  Saying nothing, to me, said that they didn't care.  The piece had no effect on them.  It didn't make them feel... anything... think...anything.  They didn't care enough to even give me some constructive criticism.  Ouch.

So, when Lisa over at Boondock Ramblings, asked me to show some of the art from my art school days, I cringed.  Did I really want to open myself up to that?  What if I show my work and I only get one or two comments?  I'm not sure my ego can take it, people!  But, this Paint With Me thing IS a challenge, and what's a challenge without...well... challenging yourself a bit?  So, please, say whatever you want to say.  Be brutal.  Be honest.  Just say SOMETHING, okay?  (I'm talking to you people who never comment, too.  If you don't know me, you can be even more honest.  I don't know where you live!  If you don't want to leave a comment, email me.  I'm declaring this National De-Lurking Day).





(Heather, I did do something artistic this week also, but I'll save that until next week. I can only take so much! Didn't want you to think I cheated!)

13 comments:

Mary said...

Hey there! I'm a regular reader although I'm not great at commenting. I think your art work is great:)

Amber said...

No way. NO WAY! You are wildly talented. Amazing really. That 3rd pictures makes me want to weep (so if the emotion you were trying to invoke was happiness, just ignore this portion of the comment!). Please pretty please share more with us. I am blown away.

feather said...

cheating? no way...this is so fantastic! i love lisa for getting you to share. why oh why you ever stopped drawing is beyond me. this is so exciting! i love that a simple linky has gotten you to do so much in the way of exposing your art and reigniting your creativity! keep.it.UP!

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

So....do you want me to critique you? Berate you? Tell you how awful your art is? Would that make you feel like you are in college again?

Because I can not do that.

Wow. You are a true talent. I'm not just saying this because I am your friend. I love these!

That last one is amazing. The shading and contrast between darks and lights...super cool. Something draws me to the first one as well..the colors I think.

OK. Now I am waiting to see more! More! Moooooore! :-)

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

OK. I looked again..that one before the last is awesome too...such emotion!

Brooke said...

Oh wow! Girl, you are awesome!!! I love them, they all spoke to me. Especially the one with the book. So simple yet a very telling portrait!
Thx :D

Amandeep said...

Even if you hadn't declared it as a De-Lurking day, i would not have been able to stop myself from commenting!
These are simply amazing! And the third one is beyond words... just couldn't stop looking at it... You've got major talent there. Please don't ever let it fade away...

Much love,
Aman

Lindsay said...

You are an ARTIST. I love your figure drawings. I remember that same criticism from Art class...it was brutal.
Talk to you soon! I am excited to see your art/doodles :) next week.

Kristi said...

Beautiful work!!

Anonymous said...

Jen! Those are amazing - SERIOUSLY! I imagine the critiques from art instructors can be pretty harsh, but I think the best part about art is the objectivity with which it can be viewed. Thank you so much for sharing those!

Stacey Richardson said...

Those are great Jen!! Wow! The 3rd one was a 'WOW' one for sure. The guy on the beach was great too, probably my fav. Good job girl.

The Girls' Mommy said...

FABULOUS. :D

gatot said...

hey there...