Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Two Realizations Brought On By A Vacation

Some of you have been wondering where I've been.  I really haven't been blogging much at all lately.  I wasn't sure exactly why, until I looked back through my photos.  Then, I figured it out.

Two things happened to me while we were on our trip to Disney.
1.  I had a fantastic time.  I was relaxed, happy, carefree, and present.  One reason for that could have been that I didn't watch much TV, or use the computer (I did use the iphone to post photos, though!).  The biggest reason I was so stress-free, though, was that I wasn't in my house.  I probably need to explain that statement.  When I'm in my house, I am constantly thinking "I need to..."  I am in a perpetual state of "to-do-list mania".  I have a very hard time being at ease... in my own home!  I had a bit of an "a-ha moment" with that realization.    While on vacation, I read the book (that is a big deal in itself - I.read.a.book!) - The Happiness Project.  It's a great book, but the part that stood out the most for me was when she talked about organizing her home.  She said that "many people believe that their physical surroundings influence their spiritual happiness".  I had the realization that not having paint or artwork on the walls and not having things organized, was causing me a huge amount of stress.

2.  I loved spending time with my son, my husband, and my parents.  Don't get me wrong.  I always love spending time with all of them.  But, I don't always savor it as much.  There were so many moments on vacation when I looked at my son and my husband, laughing together, or at my parents as they walked hand in hand with my son, and I thought "This time in my life won't last forever.  This moment is beautiful and special and I'm living it RIGHT NOW, and I need to appreciate it".  I don't do that enough when my mind is consumed with to-do lists.  

So, what came from these two realizations I had?  Well, first, I decided that we had to decorate/organize the house.  I need paint on the walls.  I need art hung on the walls and family photos.  I need to feel like my house is a home - an oasis that I feel comfortable and at ease in.

Second, I decided I wanted to spend less time writing about living and spend more time... well... living.
Funny, that the first realization gave me a ton more to-do lists though, huh?  What can I say?  I don't claim to make sense.  I'm not saying I'm done blogging.  I'm just saying that this summer at least, the posts will probably be few.  But, I hope you'll check back every once in a while and see what we've been up to.  Here's what we've been doing... (besides decorating and organizing)...



Playing at playgrounds...

Yes, I am exercising!  Can you believe it?  Dylan has actually given up his book reading time before bed to do the workouts with me on many occasions!


The International Children's Festival



Graduation from preschool


We've all been enjoying the new trampoline!







The Strawberry Festival


The Three Rivers Arts Festival.  We saw a free Steve Songs concert, and then bought a CD, and we've been listening to it since.  The guy is a musical genius in my opinion!  If you have a kid under the age of 7, click here...

There's also been many, many t-ball games, a 10th anniversary celebration, and two "Before 40" posts I need to catch up on, so I'm still WAY behind.  Stay tuned...














2 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

You know you're doing the right thing!

Brooke said...

Yahoo!! I hear ya sister!! Get out there and enjoy it!