Sunday, May 10, 2009

Dandelions


It's that time of year when people start trying to get rid of those pesky dandelions. They don't want them in their yards. They want tulips, hydrangeas, and pansies, and they spend just as much time planting and watering those flowers, as they do trying to get rid of the dandelions. They are weeds, after all, right?

But, when they were a kid, they were happy to see them springing up all over the yard. They ran around picking them, and proudly handing a big bunch of them to their moms, who would search for a small vase to display them in. Their moms would glance at them, throughout the days ahead, and smile, remembering the sweet gesture of their young child. The ones that were left in the yard would turn white, and those young children would grasp one, close their eyes, and make a wish, and blow with all their might, scattering the white fuzz through the air. To a child, a dandelion is fun, beautiful, magical even. They don't see them as weeds. To a child, a dandelion is a flower.

My mom is like that, with people. When she looks at someone, she sees a flower, not a weed. She is somehow able to see past their flaws and see the beauty. Even the people who are especially weed-like. If a waitress is rude, she maintains that they are probably having a bad day. If a friend treats her poorly, she says that maybe something is going on in their life that is difficult. Her list of reasons for poor behavior goes on and on - "...maybe they are tired, maybe they just got bad news, maybe they had a difficult childhood, maybe they are hurting, maybe they are lonely, maybe they need some understanding..."
I often tease her for her ability to always look past people's faults, but in truth, I admire it. I certainly did not inherit that personality trait. It is difficult to see the beauty in some people. There are a lot of "weeds" in this great big "yard" we are all living in. Can you imagine how much more beautiful the "yard" must look to my mom?

Mom, I'm so glad that you are able to look past my flaws, and see a beautiful flower. Hopefully, I will learn from your example. Happy Mother's Day!

I Love You,
Jen

4 comments:

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

My mom is exactly the same way and I wish I could be more like her. Wonderful post and how interesting for you to tie it into dandelions. Jonathan is loving those dandelions too right now. I didn't focus on mother's day too much today because my mom is away at her sister's funeral, etc. and it's so stressful down there and with her being gone. I'll probably hash it all out later though. Hope you are having a great day!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

This really touched me. I am not like your mother at all, but the world would be a better place if more of use were.

Happy Mother's Day!

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

Visiting from Boondock Ramblings. What a beautiful post! I wish I were like that. What an awesome example she is! We can all learn from that kind of outlook.

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Quarantine Hobby said...

What a wonderful post. I wish I could be more like your mother.