Monday, August 27, 2007

Let's All Be Kids

My son, Dylan, has the best laugh. It is one of those full belly laughs that is infectious. At nine months old, the things that make him laugh are often as amusing as the laugh itself. I recently took a video that I wish I could share with all of you - I promise I will once that feature is available. He has a Winnie the Pooh toy that is shaped like a bee hive with a hole at the top. In the hive are 10 blocks and on the day of the video I would put a block partially in the hole, then tell Dylan to "Push it" the rest of the way into the hole. Every time I said "Push it!", he would laugh. Not just laugh, but crack up to the point he was almost rolling around on the floor in hysterics. Why it was so funny I really don't know, but it got me thinking. When was the last time I laughed that hard? So hard that I was rolling around on the floor? So hard that my sides hurt? I couldn't remember. Damn, that was depressing!

There was a line in the movie "Knocked Up" where the guy said something like "I wish I felt as strongly about anything, as my kids do about bubbles". Sad, but true. Have you ever watched a kid play with bubbles? Their face lights up, they laugh, giggle, and snort, while frantically and blissfully running in all directions on the wonderful quest to pop all the bubbles before they reach the ground. When they just see a bottle of bubbles, they gasp and shout with glee, "BUBBLES!!!"

When was the last time you shouted anything with glee? Probably around the age of 5! Why is that? When do we lose that enthusiasm - that joy for living? I bet if we all started acting a little more like a kid, instead of a "responsible adult", our lives would be much richer, and loads more fun. Lets sing along to the song in the elevator, lets dance to the song playing in the grocery store, lets spin in a circle until we fall down at the park, lets tell strangers knock-knock jokes while waiting at the doctors office, lets whine to our boss "I don't wanna work late again!", let's cry when we feel like crying and laugh when we feel like laughing. Until our sides hurt. Gotta go. Dylan and I are gonna go play with bubbles.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

You are so right!

Shellie said...

I need to remember this every day, the burnout is getting to me. Playing and being a kid again might just be the key!

Jen said...

Shellie, with 5 kids you are probably so busy with all the things you need to get done, you forget to roll around in the dirt and just be silly! But having kids is a great excuse to act as goofy as you want, so if you can't beat em, join em!