Friday, May 16, 2008

The House

Hi! How are you? It's been a while, hasn't it? Sorry about that. What's new with me, you ask? Well...

We finally found a house! It is a two story, with four bedrooms, a two car integral garage, a small finished basement, a nice kitchen that won't need remodeled, and...(this is important, folks), 2 1/2 baths! (Jim and I currently only have one, and it is on the second floor!) Another major plus, is that the area is great. It is in a nice plan, with sidewalks, where Dylan can safely ride his bike someday, and we can chat with our neighbors whose names we all know at the bus stop! If I don't make friends in the new neighborhood it won't be for lack of trying. I will be going door to door, "Hi! I'm your new neighbor! I just moved in! I brought you some cookies! Sorry they're burnt." (I'm not a baker)

There are a few problems, of course, no house is perfect. The previous owner just had an above ground pool put in about 2 yrs ago. How is that a problem, you ask? Well, it takes up just about the whole yard! My kid loves to play outside, so that could be an issue. Another potential dilemma is that we aren't sure what to do about Jim's tools. The plan now is to put them all at the back of the garage, with some of the bigger tools on rollers, so when he has a project to do, we can pull the cars out, and he can use the whole garage to work. However, if his ridiculous amount of tools won't fit in the garage they will be spilling over into the basement. Do you want to guess where the laundry room is? Do I need to remind you that in our current home I have to trek through his sawdust covered workshop to get to the laundry room in the basement? Why?! Why, God, Why?!

Let me tell you about what might be the most exciting part of the house. The first time I saw the house, I walked into the master bedroom, and walked over to the closet to see if there would be room for both my clothes, and Jim's (he has more than I do). I opened the double doors, (*ANGELS SINGING LOUDLY*), shut them and shook my head rapidly to clear the dream, opened them again slowly, (*ANGELS STILL SINGING*). A. Walk. In. Closet. Doo-doo-doo, doo-doo-doo, doo-doo. Doo, doo-doo-doo. (That's me doing the Snoopy happy dance if you are confused).

So, yesterday morning I went to get the home inspection done. The guy was very...Detailed. He was pointing out every little thing, and suggestions that we might want to do in the future, and potential problems, and...by the end my head was spinning and I might have started hyperventilating. I told him, "When we have the inspection at our house, I really hope you don't do it!" So, there are some problems, and now we have to all discuss who will do what, when, and for how much. This whole house hunting/house buying/house selling process has me feeling like I'm caught in a whirlwind. If you've seen the movie "Twisters", you remember the scene where the cow caught in the tornado, flies past the car window with the bewildered look on its face? Well, MOOOOO!

Yea, I'm a little stressed. Even after the massage that Jim and I finally got on our anniversary. It was great, but when the lady who was giving me my massage came up to me, I almost shouted in her face, "WHERE'S HEIDI?! GO, AND GET ME HEIDI!!" You see, after my first massage with Heidi, and I told Jim "I am leaving you. Sorry", I have requested her. If there was ever a time I needed Heidi to give me a massage, it was now, but somebody screwed up and never wrote down the request. I was quite gracious and let them live. This time.

6 comments:

Nicole said...

Sounds like things are going smoothly for you! I can't wait to see picture your new house! You'll share, right?

I'm hoping our process in purchasing the house we want goes smoothly as well. We'll see LOL!

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

yeah! I am dancing for you right now -- well, mentally. I'm at work and my co-workers already think I am crazy. Of course, i'm totally pms'in right now so they probably wouldn't notice. I've been losing my mind all day -- weepy and screamy all at the same time.

*sigh* but enough about me..we were talking about you and how excited I am about your house! Yeah! yeah!

It will be awesooooome!

Kellan said...

Congratulations, Jen, on finding a house - it sounds wonderful!!! I'm so happy for you!

Kellan

JCK said...

Sorry you missed out on Heidi, but congrats on the house! Home buying is really stressful. But, sounds like you got a dream house. Your man just needs to build a shed for his tools. :)

Burgh Baby said...

That was smart of you to buy a four-bedroom house. Now you'll have space for Heidi and me both to move in. ;-)

Janet said...

I know the home inspection is a pain, but you will be glad you had one. I didn't, and discovered several THOUSANDS of dollars worth of problems that an inspector would have found, and I would definitely not have bought the house. Congratulations.