Friday, May 16, 2008

The Socks

I already wrote a post today, but after that, Dylan did something so darn cute, here I am writing again. These things must be documented. He has been the absolute pinnacle of cuteness all day today, which is really great, because I am sick, and don't have the energy to deal with much. So, I had his socks in a laundry basket that were clean, that needed sorted and put away.
When he saw it, he became obsessed with getting at those socks, sticking his whole arm down as far as he could, trying to reach them and pull them out. At first, I started to put them in another room, envisioning him stuffing them in his mouth to chew them until they were all soggy and gross, which is what he usually does, or I should say used to do.

Then, I had an idea. "Dylan, do you want to help ma-ma?" "Yeth", he replied, while shaking his whole body in affirmation - (his new thing is to nod yes, but he does it with his whole upper body). "Okay, can you help ma-ma match the socks and put them away?" "Yeth, ma-ma, ma-ma". I dumped the whole pile on a blanket. Then, I pulled out a blue one. "Boo!" "Yes, it is blue! Can you find another blue one?" To my amazement, he handed me another blue one! Again, and again he handed me the color sock I asked for. Granted, it wasn't always a match, but it was always the same color as the one I was holding.

After I folded each pair together, I asked him "Do you want to put them away for ma-ma?" "Yeth!" Even though he is about 2 inches too short to see into the sock drawer, he tossed each pair into the drawer, signing "More" after each one, then signed "All done" when we were finished.

Am I the only one who picks up the phone to call Oprah and ask when she is doing an episode on genius children, when their kid happily and successfully does HOUSEHOLD CHORES?! She never answers my phone calls either. Anyway, it was extremely cute, and I'm getting misty again. Can someone please hand me the box of tissues?

10 comments:

Karen said...

Awesome! Color matching, household help and cuteness all rolled into one.

pam said...

I must be menopausal or something because this post has me booing and hooing like a baby. Too cute! Please bottle that baby up and send him to me toot de suite.. pls

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Wow. IT seems to me he's pretty darn smart. I don't know why Opera won't answer your calls. I think she's campaigning for Barack or something.

Still, Jonathan is the same age as Dylan so I am amazed at Dylan's development. Jonathan does some amazing things, but not yet this.

Kellan said...

That little Dylan is too darn smart and adorable to boot!!

Have a good weekend, Jen - see you - Kellan

JCK said...

It's these moments that are so precious. Very cute indeed. Household chores IS very impressive. Perhaps Oprah is in the works.

jenny said...

that's awesome! what a smart little dude! :)

The Girls' Mommy said...

I have a three year old who can't do it :) Great job

Burgh Baby said...

Another sign of YOUR genius--you're teaching the kid to be a useful member of society early. Just imagine how overjoyed his future wife will be to learn that he does, in fact, know how to put his socks away.

Now, can I borrow him for a few minutes so he can teach my husband?

Janet said...

Both of mine love to help with laundry, but they're not as cute about it. Probably because they're jockeying for position. DeBoy also loves to sweep. I'm trying to figure out how to keep this enthusiasm alive when they're teenagers.

Sparx said...

Oh my goodness, he's so advanced That's amazing gal, you're obviously a great Ma-ma!