Sunday, September 16, 2007

Little Monkey?

My son's name is Dylan. Does he know that? I'm not sure. The poor kid has had so many names, he has to be confused. When I was pregnant, Jim and I decided not to tell anyone the name we picked out, mainly because we didn't want anyone to influence our decision. At that point, my mom started calling him "Tiger". "Hey, Tiger! Are you kicking your mommy today?", she would question my belly. My belly never answered, but she kept calling it "Tiger" anyway, until one day I finally slipped and accidentally told them the name while talking to them on the phone. I was talking about how Jim had bought me a zoo membership for my birthday, and I said "That way, Dylan and I can go to the zoo whenever we want, blah, blah, blah". They cut in, "DYLAN!!?? Ooooh, the name is Dylan!". @!*$!@", I shouted.

When Dylan was first born, and slept constantly, Jim and I called him "Rumpelstiltskin" until we realized we had our children's stories mixed up and meant "Rip Van Winkle". That didn't exactly roll off the tongue. When he was about 7 weeks old, we started calling him "Grunt" or "Little Grunt", because he grunted constantly, maybe due to all the gas (Thank God, I survived the colic stage!). Not long after that, we were calling him "Chunky Monkey", because his thighs resembled a sumo wrestlers.

His other grandma sometimes calls him "Snookie". My dad calls him "Little Guy". Jim often calls him "Little Buddy", or "The D Man". We've also called him "Dylan Doodle", or "Doodle", since I used to sing while bouncing him on my knee, "Dylan Doodle, went to town, riding on a pony..."

Several months ago, when he started crawling, I started calling him "Little Monkey". He started out doing a monkey crawl, with his belly dragging on the floor, and his long arms dragging himself along. "Little Monkey" just fits him, so it has stuck. He is always monkeying around, getting into everything, and making us laugh with his crazy antics.

Poor kid. We better start calling him "Dylan", or his first day of school will go something like this...

Teacher: "Ian?"
Ian: "Here!"
Teacher: "Katie?"
Katie:"Here!"
Teacher: "Cody?"
Cody: "Here!"
Teacher: "Dylan?"... "Dylan?"... "Dylan?"
Teacher: "Sara?"
Sara: "Here!"
Teacher: "Little boy, there, in the second row. I've called everyone on my list. What is your name?"
Dylan: "Uh, Little Monkey?"

1 comment:

The Girls' Mommy said...

We kept our girls' names a secret too, then it kind of became a family tradition for our families and everyone has done it. We love guessing until they're fianlly born. Mostly Ron and I did it in the beginning because before the baby is born everyone has an opinion about every possible name, even the ones you really like. But after the baby is born they all say, "Oh, that's perfect!"