Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Motherhood: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

I had a spare moment, (imagine that!), and I was reflecting on motherhood and all its ups and downs, and this is what I came up with... I'd like to end on a happy note, so I'll start with the bad and the ugly.

The Bad:
* Colic!! - like war heroes, moms who survive colic deserve medals!
* Sleeping in is a thing of the past - My husband and I used to sleep until noon on Saturdays! The thought of doing that now makes me giddy.
*Doctor visits/Torticollis/Plagiocephaly/Stretches, etc.
*A complete loss of privacy - I can't even take a shit without Dylan pulling on my legs.
*Wrestling an alligator - otherwise known as trying to change or dress a 10 month old.
*Mommy brain - I can't remember what day it is, or where I put my cellphone, but I can tell you the exact time Dylan last pooped.

The Ugly:

That would be me. I used to have something called free time. I used to have the time to make myself look good. Now, I only have time to shave my legs on Saturdays and Sundays. I haven't had a haircut in over 6 months. I have no time to do laundry, so clothing options are minimal. I can't leave the house without stains on my clothes. I am declaring stained clothes "in" - think the new black. I can't remember the last time I went to the dentist. I had a nightmare 3 weeks ago that all my teeth fell out. You would think I would take that as a sign, but I have yet to make an appointment.

The Good:
*Dylan's smiles - they light up the room!
*When I make him laugh.
*Seeing Jim and Dylan interact - my two guys are so cute I could melt.
*When he is still long enough for me to hug and kiss him.
*When he reaches for me.
*That clean baby smell after he's had a bath - it's like a drug!
*Hearing him babble to himself in the backseat while I drive.
*Being able to act as goofy as I want in public because I have a kid with me.
*Taking him places for the first time, and introducing him to new experiences.
*He makes it so clear what is important and what isn't.
*Experiencing love and joy beyond words.

What else can I say? Motherhood is the hardest job I've ever had. The hours are ridiculous, the boss (Dylan) is demanding, and the pay (at least financially) is nonexistent. But, the rewards are out of this world. I love my job.

4 comments:

Shellie said...

I love your writing, it is heartwarming. It reminds me so much of when I just had one.(Nostalgic background music).

Jen said...

Thanks, Shellie. I hope even though you have 5 kids, you still get time to look around and get a warm heart by it all! It will be so nice for your kids to have all those siblings when they get older. I'm an only child and I would love to have a brother or sister to confide in these days. I enjoy your writing as well.

Anonymous said...

So true! My girlfriend actually apologized to me the other day - she has been giving me crap for the last 2.5 years about how much I have let motherhood affect me (?!). She now has a 6-week-old, and having failed to listen to any of the 'warnings' that I issued, is getting a very rough crash course in motherhood.

I enjoy your writing, and wish you luck in getting published. Thank you for stopping by and commenting as well. I will be back!

Jen said...

Thanks for the compliment, "driving with the brakes on". Sometimes its hard chasing the dream and a 10 month old. Stop back soon.