Friday, December 21, 2007

The One You've Been Waiting For


Well, the Christmas cards have been rolling in. How nice to finally get mail that isn't bills, fliers, or catalogs for a few weeks out of the year! I love to get cards, but of course, I have a few opinions on Christmas cards. I know, shocking, right?! Now, those of you who have already sent me a card, please don't take this too seriously. I love getting ALL the cards, so please, keep them coming, and feel free to ignore this particular rant.
But, here are my thoughts...

1. This might be the most important one. Glitter Sucks!! I hate glitter. No glitter, No where, No how! I think my hatred of glitter began when I taught preschool. It seems that in a preschool classroom every craft must be made by pouring lots and lots of glitter all over whatever you happen to be making that day. Glitter on the table that you will put your arm in for months, because you can never get rid of all of it. Glitter on the floor that you will step on, then track everywhere you go until you swear someone is messing with you, because "How did it end up coming home with me!!" Glitter in your hair, your clothes, your food! So, that is why, when I open a Christmas card with layers of glitter on it, I cringe.

2. Cards addressed to Mr. and Mrs. James (and our last name). I know, I know, that is the proper way to do it. But, to being proper I say "Phllbbtt!!" I am not just an extension of my wonderful husband, James. I have a name, too. I gladly gave up my last name, (didn't care for it, anyway), but could I at least keep my first name?

3. As an only child, I have been complaining about this one for years... Cards addressed to Mr. and Mrs. So and So & Family. And Family! It was just me. If they couldn't remember my name, they could put "& Daughter", although remembering my name would be good for my ego.

4. I actually kind of enjoy those hokey Christmas letters people send. I like to know what people have been doing. What upsets me are the ones written by the woman of the house (most of them are), that gushes about each of her kids achievements, and her husband's new promotion, but there is not one thing written about her year.

5. Cards addressed just to my husband! Yep, some bleepity bleeper actually neglected to even acknowledge both me and Dylan on the card! This bleeper got a card from us last year, so she knows of my existence and Dylan's, so that is just so bleeping rude. When I expressed my disgust to Jim, he said, "What does it matter? You're never going to meet her anyway, since she lives so far away." "Lucky for her"-my reply.

And now, without further ado, this year's card...



If you can't read this, click on it to see it bigger.


Merry Christmas, Everyone!

13 comments:

dawn klinge said...

You're are so funny! I really have to agree with the Mr. and Mrs. James... I hate that! Your Christmas card is so cute with your little guy in his Grinch outfit.

Kellan said...

That is so adorable - that picture and card of Dylan. And I am with you on the glitter - HATE GLITTER! Hope you have a good weekend. See you soon. Kellan

Anonymous said...

Love it! I must admit that I am one who goes with the formal 'Mr. and Mrs. Husband Lastname', but I am with you on the glitter! Oh, and confetti . . . why on Earth do some people stuff their cards with confetti?!

Burgh Baby said...

I do the Mr. and Mrs. thing when I can't remember who people are or can't remember someone's first name. Given the size of my husband's family, it happens a lot. So if I ever send you a card with the Mr. and Mrs. thing, you should be offended.

Dude, that is the cutest onesie EVAH! Rock on with your Grincy self, Mr. Dylan!

Pam said...

I loved your card! What a fabulous poem, picture, everything! I'm with you on your list...the glitter, the Mr and Mrs James....all of it. I have when I find glitter weeks later from cards (I refuse to use glitter in my classroom for the reasons you mentioned)

Anonymous said...

SO funny!! I agree with Mr & Mrs thing ... and although I don't mind glitter that's glued on well, I absolutely HATE the glitter and confetti INSIDE cards that falls over the ground when you open them!!

Merry Christmas!!

Shellie said...

Every time I see glitter, I think of a tortured beetle that got involved in a school glitter art project. I absolutely LOVE the card! MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Kellan said...

Hey Jen - I hope you have a wonderful Christmas - you and your beautiful family. It has been such a pleasure getting to know you over the past several months and I want you to know that you have been a blessing in my life. I look forward to seeing you often in the coming New Year. Kellan

Joanna said...

Ohhh, glitter is evil!! Cute card and poem. I had to crack up laughing when I saw the Grinch.

Kellan said...

Hey Jen - sorry about not providing a picture with my story - if I could have thought of it at the time of the party I would have snuck one - hope you had a great Christmas. See ya. Kellan

Kellan said...

Hi Jen - hope you are having a good day. I am supposed to be seriously putting away some Christmas stuff and just can't get motivated yet. See you soon. Kellan

JCK said...

I'm with you on the Mr. & Mrs. James, too. Glitter seems to come in piles, yes. It's interesting what you said about the Christmas letters. I noticed that very thing about the woman not saying much about her. It is always the smallest paragraph.

Darling, darling card & letter. And the picture at the top! Too precious. What a cutie.

Zoe said...

I love your card!!!