Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Shenandoah Vacation - Part 1

I'm sure you've heard the phrase, "What goes around comes around"? It seems to refer to the bad stuff people do to others coming back to them at some point. I like to think it also applies to the good stuff.

See, when we bought our house last year, the small yard came with a big above-ground pool, that we didn't want. The previous owner begged us to give it a chance, and we did last summer, but we just didn't have the time or money or yard for that pool. This spring we decided to get rid of it.

To make a long story short (or shorter), we decided to give it away for free to a member of the Mom's Club that I belong to. All they had to do was take it down, and haul it away. The whole idea was that Jim and I wouldn't have to deal with it. But, somehow, Jim ended up out in the yard on numerous occasions, using OUR power tools to help the husband dismantle it, and I became very cranky. "A free pool and free labor?! COME ON!!", the ranter ranted.

Until about a month later, when I sent out a mass email to the Mom's Club again, this time asking for ideas for places JIm and I could go for our anniversary. The mom who took the pool emailed back that they own a timeshare at a resort in Virginia, and since "they owe us", they could get us a really good deal on a week's stay. And, that is how it "came back around", and how the ranter became the raver.

We've always been beach people, choosing to always vacation near sand and surf. But, now I understand the beckoning call of the mountains. Their beauty inspires and their vastness humbles. You find your muscles relaxing with each exhaled breath. You feel alive and rejuvenated.

I think it is important for all of us to occasionally be in a place that reminds us that the world is beautiful. The problem with that, though, (for me at least), is that I'm always left wanting more. I get sad thinking about all the places I will never get to go, all the sights I will never get to see, but I am so grateful that I got to see the Shenandoah Mountains. And, to them I say, "I hope that someday we "come back around"".

*Pictures should be up by Thursday!

6 comments:

The Girls' Mommy said...

I love it, I love it, I love it already :) Can't wait. Welcome home!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I can't wait to see the pics.

I'm a mountain person on vacation, but I think that's because I get to the beach pretty regularly at home.

JCK said...

So glad you felt the beauty. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Burgh Baby said...

Welcome back!

That Karma can be such a bitch, but sometimes she really does a good job. Glad y'all got to go somewhere different and fun!

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Sounds like you had a great trip! Gives me an idea for where we might can go someday. Actually, if you hadn't posted today I was going to e-mail you and see how it went.

Now I shall sit and wait for the photographs.

Tum-de-dum, tum-de-dum.....OK. Where are they? Ahem...are they up now? yet? Now?

OK. I'll come back tomorrow. :-)

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

We made it down to Shenandoah last summer. We stayed in a cabin in the park; it was amazingly fun. And gorgeous. Ahh, yes.

We have unfinished business with the Hawksbill Mountain trail, so we'll be back. I'm just not sure when.