Monday, December 14, 2009

videos

*I need to catch up. What can I say about Dylan's first ever school performance? Um...thank God for video cameras comes to mind. Geniuses that we are, even though we got there early and had a nice choice of seats, we picked the EXACT row in which it was impossible to see him. I saw the music teacher's head and the music stand. Luckily, when Jim realized the situation he got up and took the video camera over to another area.

When Dylan put on his "shows" for us at home, there was a lot of jumping, running off the "stage", and the sudden and urgent need to grab a drum, guitar, etc. We knew he knew the songs, because he was singing them constantly, but to be honest I did NOT have high hopes. I might have remarked to Jim at some point beforehand, "I'm going to pray they don't have him next to X". "X" is a very tiny, fragile little girl who is always dressed like an ad out of a magazine. I had the image of Dylan jumping around and knocking poor X off the steps, her perfect little pigtails coming loose and her dress flying up over her head as her parents fainted.

Instead, he.stood.still. No really, this is big. If you've ever met my kid you understand. He was very serious. I don't think he smiled once, but he stood still and sang the songs. I'm pretty sure the teachers bribed him with the cookies the kids were getting after the show. Whatever works.

*If you are wondering if I'm still sick, the answer is yes. Yesterday was the worst day. You know the "I want my mommy" kind of bad? Like that. I tried to take a nap, since I hadn't slept at all that night, but could not stop coughing for even five minutes. The more I coughed, the angrier I got. I was like a snarly old bear, who couldn't hibernate, and Jim and Dylan tried to stay out of my grizzly path for the most part. By the evening, I was so miserable, I got out the computer and googled, "HOW DO YOU STOP COUGHING?!?!" I love the internet. It had all kinds of natural methods for me to try, and I would have tried them all, but I didn't have most of the ingredients I needed. Heck, if it said sucking on a rattlesnakes tail would stop coughing I would have tried that. The funny thing is that what I ended up doing, (hot water, with honey and lemon), was what my mom used to give me when I was sick. Told you I wanted my mommy.

Today I feel like I've turned a corner, and I'm starting to feel better. I slept last night finally, so that helped. I had to sleep partially sitting up, so I wouldn't cough, but still, I slept!!

*I asked my employer if I could switch days with her mom, who watches the kids on Thursdays and Fridays, but she said to just stay home this week. I don't exactly get paid sick days, so that pretty much sucks, but I'm determined to make the best of it. So, since I got to stay home today, here is today's cuteness...

-When he woke up from his nap, he immediately told me, "Mommy! I need a new room! I need a new bed, and I need a new closet, and I need a new door, and I need new toys, and I need new books, and I need a new rug!" Did you ever have one of those days when you look around your house, and you're just not happy with your old stuff? My 3 year old boy understands.

-We were sitting at the table, having a snack. I remarked, "Dylan, I love your eyes. They are such a pretty green color". Then, I took off my glasses and moved my face close to his, saying, "What color are my eyes?" After a few seconds of staring sweetly into each other's eyes, he remarked with a serious expression, "Your eyes look like... English muffins". Then, he cracked up.

-When Jim got home and wanted to play with Dylan, Dylan said, "You're not Daddy! You're not Daddy until you have on your jammy shirt and your jammy pants!" (He was still in his work clothes).

7 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

So much cuteness.

Feel better soon.

The Girls' Mommy said...

a nebulizer and albuterol. that's what you need. you're doctor can hook you up. my sister and I both have one and between our kids and our friends kids someone is always using that thing.

(or honey.)

feather said...

girl, you need to get better soon! the girls' mommy is right about the nebulizer. ours runs 24/7 around here between two of my kids. and honey? really does work for coughs.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

When I was coughing...for some two weeks straight, the only thing that worked for me was Mucinex to get all the junk out and Hyland's Children's Cough Syrup (all natural) with the honey in it. I had to hunt for it, but no kidding...it stopped the coughing. And the Mucinex let me spit on the ground like a man instead of just hacking like a 20-year smoker.

Dylan is so cute. I swear! I want to pinch his cheeks!In a good way, of course!

I would be worried about Jonathan at a performance too...but he'd probably do just what you described Dylan doing. On Saturday we went to a Rudolph Party at the library and the kid was dancing all over the place, in front of everyone....to Christmas music. All the ladies were saying "Oh. Just look at him. Isn't he cute!"

Those ladies have kids, who are all grown up now...they've forgotten how cute and then crazy they can be. :-)

Sparx said...

Oh hey, so sorry you're ill... least you have a built-in ray of light to brighten you up. We're off to the nursery play next week, I have no faith that my boy will stay still for a second but you give me hope...

Burgh Baby said...

Hope you're feeling better soon. Sick sucks.

It never ceases to amaze me how differently kids will act when in a group. It's like some sort of mind-control agent kicks in.

Anonymous said...

Dylan cracks me up! What a little ham! Cooper's school program is tomorrow and I am super anxious to see how it goes. He has been belting out the tunes here at home, but can be quite shy infront of a large group.

I am so glad you are feeling better and hope all of the yuck is gone before Christmas! (And what would we do without Dr. Google?!)