Wednesday, December 30, 2009

December 2009

Well, Christmas has come and gone. Usually I am left with a feeling of disappointment that after all the hype and build up leading to Christmas, it is now over, and there isn't much to look forward to for a few months. This year, I must admit, I am looking forward to December being over. This has been one of the worst months, health-wise, that I've experienced.

I got bronchitis early in the month, and started on an antibiotic. After improving some, I started feeling horrible again, and went back to the doctor. He said I probably built up a resistance to the first antibiotic, since I've taken it so many times, (bronchitis and I are close friends), so it failed. He said since I am basically experiencing asthmatic symptoms at this point, that he would give me an inhaler to use and start me on a second antibiotic. But, that's not the worst part.

The worst part is that due to the incessant coughing, I've bruised a rib, or some such nonsense. I really cannot imagine the pain someone experiences when they break a rib, because this hurts like a... not nice word that if written in my blog would result in my parents getting a phone call from my relatives. Sneezing almost brings me to my knees. It hurts to cough, and even to breathe in deeply. I can only sleep in one position - on my back, half propped up on pillows, and I still spend part of the night coughing. Poor Jim has been sleeping on the couch for almost a month. BUT - last night he came back to our bed, and I am finally starting to feel better. It still hurts to sneeze or cough, but I'm coughing less, and breathing deeper. Breathing is always good. So, I was planning on writing a list of New Year's Resolutions, but really, I just resolve to be healthier in 2010. Health is something none of us should take for granted.

In spite of December being rough, many great memories were made. Dylan really wasn't all that excited about Santa, or even getting presents this year. Maybe because he just got tons of presents for his birthday? When we would ask him what he wanted, he would simply say, "Presents". He was mainly excited about the act of opening presents (he rips the paper off with sheer abandon and joy), and eating Christmas cookies! Here are a few of my favorite pictures from Christmas day...

Laying in the huge pile of discarded paper...


Eating cookies with his grandma(Jim's mom)...


Laughing with Daddy...

7 comments:

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

You poor thing! I've had my own "affair" with bronchitis over the years, but, Thank God, I've never bruised a rib from it. It took me about a month to kick mine and from time to time I still feel some tightness in my chest. Not fun at all, so I can relate a little bit.

I'm glad you had Dylan to enjoy at Christmas though. What a doll!

I smile each time I see the Christmas card on our fridge. Guess who didn't get the rest of her cards out? I will still try to send you a card of some kind to make up for it!

Burgh Baby said...

Hope you're back to feeling 100% soon. Bruised ribs SUCK.

Anonymous said...

What a month! You are so very right in not taking the gift of health lightly, and I hope you are back to full strength soon!

I love the picture of Dylan in the wrapping paper! Cooper was the same way - all about unwrapping, with little care for what was inside. Glad you had a nice holiday!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I hope you get over all of this soon. May 2010 be the year of no bronchitis!

I broke two ribs once and it hurt like . . . well, you know.

Sparx said...

Yowza, what an utter drag... glad to hear you're on the mend but that sounds appalling.

Christmas looks like it was good though - Charlie did manage to ask for 'a yellow car' but mainly when asked what he wanted for Christmas he would just say 'a blue present' or 'a pink one' or something like that...

Happy New Year, hope you fell better soon.

Janet said...

I did that very thing with a bout of bronchitis about 20 years ago. incredibly painful.
Christmas with little kids is absolutely amazing.

The Girls' Mommy said...

OH the pain of coughing! My chest hurt reading it. I'm so sorry for you :(