Friday, July 23, 2010

Friday Night Glamour

I love being a mom.  I love being married.  Very rarely do I get nostalgic about my single days, and even when I do it usually involves remembering little things.  How I used to be able to get in and out of the car in 10 seconds, rather than 10 minutes.  Leaving  the house without a stain on at least one article of clothing.  Deciding to go see a movie, and just... going to see a movie.  Laying down to go to sleep and not having to remove the toy that just jammed into my head.  You know, the little things.

I don't sit around dreaming about the days of getting all dressed up to attend an extravagant function with a room full of sophisticated adults,  talking about politics and current events.  Oh wait, I didn't do that when I was single either.

Jim and I used to go out on Friday nights, but it was never extravagant.  Usually just dinner and a movie.  I knew my life would change when I had a child, but I didn't picture myself impulsively deciding on a Friday night that I must wildly clean the entire first floor bathroom,  because the faint smell of pee (my 3 year old is now standing up to pee on the regular toilet) from when my little sweetheart missed "just a little" AGAIN suddenly makes me convinced I am going to completely 100 percent lose my mind.

I'm just saying, a teeny tiny bit more glamour and sophistication wouldn't be so bad.  Oh, who am I kidding?  If Jim and I got dressed up to go to a sophisticated event, I would probably spend the majority of my time moaning about the injustice of trying to cram my ridiculously long legs into pantyhose, mistakenly calling Jim "Daddy", and suddenly and without warning screaching "DO YOU SMELL PEE??!!?"

7 comments:

Cristina said...

last time the husband and I decided to go on a date, which was to include nice dinner and then out to a bar for drinks. after dinner, we get in the car look at each other and we both had the same thought.. let's go home and nap.. and that's exactly what we did!

Brooke said...

Going out on the town is a whole different ball of wax once kids come along. Sometimes, it is just much easier to enjoy a night IN... but for goodness sake, don't clean the toilets! I save all that dirty work for Saturday morning :D

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Isn't that peeing standing up thing just great? Love when he says, "ooopsie..." I just know what that means. And that morning I sat on the toilet and it hit me he hadn't put the seat up apparently....

blue china studio happy said...

Oh yes, the peeing thing...I'm sorry to say that it takes them a REALLY long time to out grow that....

Great post!

Lindsay said...

I couldn't agree more! When we go out, (which is once in a blue moon) we talk about the kids for the first half of the evening....

Anonymous said...

Amen, sister!

Hubby and I went to his honor society induction ceremony a couple Friday's ago - not super dressy, and we were running too late to grab dinner, but an 'adult' even none-the-less. Except lots of people brought their kids. I spent more time talking to the kids than I did to the adults.

Elissa said...

did you write this, or did i?

meh. pantyhose are the devil's tool. i definitely don't want to do anything sophisticated if i am going to be forced to wear pantyhose ;-)

how tall are you, anyway?