Friday, March 18, 2011

My Biggest Source Of Joy

Things have been a bit stressful around here lately.  A couple days after my grandfather died, Jim's dad went into the hospital, complaining of chest pains.  He was in the hospital until Wednesday this week.  We still aren't clear on what exactly is wrong, since Jim never got to see any doctors, and the paperwork they sent home with him is very vague and confusing.  Since witnessing how things are done at the hospital my grandfather was at, and now at this hospital, I can honestly say that the state of health care in this country is frightening and appalling.

There have been a couple other issues stress-wise, but lets move on to something more positive - my funny, creative four year old.  He has been so sweet and funny lately, and I really need to document some of this stuff.

One night,  I was sitting in bed reading, while Jim was putting Dylan to bed.  Dylan ran into the bedroom and saw that I was reading.  "Oh, Mommy, when you finish that book, you'll need more to read.  I'll go get you some more books to read".  I wish I had taken a picture of the stack of books he came back with.  They were all books about little boys and their mom!  He figured that was a subject I'm interested in, I guess.

Another day, I was in the bathroom, err... taking care of business, and realized there was no more toilet paper.  I checked the drawer that we keep the extra rolls in - empty.  I sat there wondering what to do next, when suddenly I had a thought.  "Dylan!  Can you come here?  Come in the bathroom!"  "What Mommy?"  "There's no more toilet paper, and I need some.  Can you go upstairs and get me some more?"  "Oh sure, I can!"  He turned to go upstairs, and I started to say, "The extra rolls are in the..."  "I KNOW where they are, Mommy!"  He ran back into the bathroom with a roll.  "Mommy, you just tell me when you need another roll and I'll get you more, okay?  I'm good at helping".  "I think I'm good for now, thanks".

One day he decided to make a list of all the words he knows how to spell.  Here is the list, front and back...



Do you see what word is the biggest?  Even bigger than that guy who is supposed to be the favorite around here!

One morning when I woke him up, he smiled, sighed, and said, "Oh, thank you Mommy!"  "Thank you for what?", I asked.  "Ummm.... I don't know... but thank you, Mommy".  If he wanted to start every day that way, I wouldn't object.  Jim could even take up the habit.

One night, I was upstairs putting laundry away, while Dylan and Jim were downstairs cleaning up before bed.  I came down to find this...


A couple days ago, I read him the book "The Bike Lesson", by Stan and Jan Berenstain.  In it, the father says he is going to teach his son some lessons about riding a bike.  He ends up showing him the wrong way to do everything, but pretends this was his intention all along.  When we were finished, Dylan said he wanted to teach me some lessons.  He demonstrated the right way, and wrong way to do the following things...

So glad I now know the correct way to get off a big ball.  That will really come in handy the next time I'm on one.

5 comments:

Brooke said...

Jen - I missed your last post. So sorry to hear about your Grandpa. How did Dylan handle it? It is all hard to cope with, I am sure, but also hard to explain to the little guy. Loved all of his cute Dylanisms. He sounds like such a sweet little guy :D

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

How fun!

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

That Dylan is such a sweet heart and I can see why he is such a source of joy for you!!! What a doll!

The Girls' Mommy said...

HA! Number One reminded me of the book "She Got Up Off the Couch: And Other Heroic Acts from Mooreland, Indiana". Great book.

Stephanie said...

I am lucky enough to also have a thoughtful, articulate boy (much of the time)...Love the kid notes!