Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Sick / Fire Hall / Soccer Class

I really don't even want to talk about the whole sick thing again.  I'm so boring!  Whine, whine, sniffle, cough, blah, blah, blah.  But, some wonderful people have been asking, so I'll tell you.  Week three, and almost done with the antibiotics, I am better.  Definitely better, but still not 100%, and it's annoying.  I haven't slept through the night, or completely horizontal for that matter since I can't remember when, due to the bleepity bleepin' coughing.  But, I am off the couch, and functioning mostly normally, with the exception of getting weak after doing anything at all.

I even managed go along with Dylan's class yesterday, for a field trip to the fire station.  I have to say that it was great to be able to see him in the school environment.  I get so little information from the teachers and especially from Dylan about his time there, so I was intrigued.  I was happy to see that he WAS interacting with some of the other kids.  (He doesn't talk about any of them, so I wasn't sure).  I wasn't surprised to see that he talks a lot - asking questions and making comments.

He was very interested when the fire fighter was talking about fire safety, and sat there pretty still and quiet.  When they took us outside and talked about every stinking thing on the truck in details far surpassing a 4 year old attention span?  Not so much.  Standing STILL and listening to boring stuff?  Not exactly on Dylan's list of strengths.

After the field trip, I got to observe him in his soccer class.  I have to say that in my opinion, 30 kids that age with 2 instructors (one very laid back and quiet to boot), is too darn many kids!  I was groaning, as I watched Dylan, thinking, "What is he doing over there?  Isn't he supposed to be over here right now?"  Then, minutes later, "Now what is he doing?"  I had to stop myself several times from yelling to him.  Then, I noticed the father sitting next to me.  Every five minutes or so he would slap his hand to his forehead and go "What is he doing?!", talking about his son.  A few times he couldn't help himself.  "Alex!!  Get the ball!!  You're supposed to be over there!!"  Then, it hit me that we are all so focused on our own kids, that we don't notice that none of them have a clue what they are doing!

I really should take a video camera, so I can get how many times the instructors scream "NOT YOUR HANDS!  USE YOUR FEET!" on tape.

Okay, but is this normal?  Dylan sat on a little girl's feet not once, but twice, when they were all sitting as a group.  I could see her complaining to her little friends, and the instructor, but I could tell that Dylan had no idea he did it.  None.  I asked him later, "Did you know that you sat on a little girl's feet in soccer class?"  "I did?!  When?!", he asked.  When I told Jim about it, he said, "Oh great.  He's inherited the Magoo gene!"  (I call my dad Magoo, because he is blissfully unaware of the fact that other drivers are yelling and flipping him off, as he slowly makes his way along.  Jim says I have the Magoo gene, because he can do things like put my cell phone in my coat pocket without me noticing.  Or there was the time he put a chip clip on my pajama top while we were watching TV at night, and I went to bed with it on and spent the whole night sleeping, completely oblivious.)

Here's the thing though.  I'm worried the Magoo gene is going to get my kid beat up at some point!  Can you teach someone to be more observant?  I'm probably gonna need to get some books aren't I?

10 comments:

Mary said...

Sorry you've been so sick:( Glad you are starting to feel better!
I absolutely adore watching my four year old "in his element" with other kids. I especially like the few minutes every day when I pick him up and he hasn't yet spotted me!
We start the soccer thing next month. This is new territory for us!

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are starting to feel better! It seems like so many people have been sick lately - and not just with little stuff, but with big, nasty, hangs-around-for-awhile stuff! I have to wonder if some of the "Magoo" stuff isn't Dylan's age, because I see my kids do the same thing!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

That Magoo gene thing is very funny. My husband would totally do that chip clip thing to me and then the kids would spend all night laughing without cluing me in.

Maybe spring will come soon and heal you completely.

Brooke said...

Oh my gosh - sports for kids are hysterical! I am either rolling on the floor laughing or beside myself with frustration at all of Chase's sporting stuff.

The Girls' Mommy said...

"Being more observant" books. Hmmmm. I'll check the library :)

Elissa said...

nah. he's just a kid. and a boy. ;-)

that said, magoo reference is awesome and i can't believe you slept with a chip clip!

Anonymous said...

I have that Magoo gene, as does one of my sons. I have been trying to get my husband to believe for years that there's nothing I can do about it except apologize afterwards as necessary. But he's a young kid, you don't REALLY know he has it (yet).

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Jonathan has a bit of the magoo thing....I think he gets it from his dad. :-)

Teresa said...

Pei pa koa is pretty decent cough medicine (from herbal as I remembered), great non alcoholic medicine, some western cough medicine are more effective, but this is non drowsy.

You can access info online @
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nin_Jiom_Pei_Pa_Koa
ninjiom.50webs.com

JCK said...

Oh, kids...and what they do to us. LOL.

So glad you are starting to feel better.

Loved the Magoo thing.