Tuesday, May 17, 2011

When You're Having Fun

Like I said in my previous post, I really love this tree...

Dylan?  Really loves that sandbox!



I was sitting there, looking up at the pretty pink petals, trying not to think about how much sand my little sand magnet was going to bring with him into the house later.

I was snapping pictures...

He was lost in his sand nirvana...


Eventually all good things must come to an end, and it was time for dinner, so I suggested he run around the yard a few times to get all the sand off...


After I snapped a few pictures, I was looking back at them on the camera, when I gasped.  Do you ever look at a picture of your child, and see them as much older than they really are?  I am telling you, I look at this shot, and I can see him as a teenager.


Most of the time, when I look at him, I struggle to remember him like this...


Time... it does fly, doesn't it?  That day, as I watched him run barefoot through the grass, smiling and laughing, I could feel time passing in a way I don't often notice.  Usually I'm so busy, so caught up in each day's details and lists of things to get done, that I don't notice the differences.  The freckles that have appeared on his face, the hands that have lost the dimples, the legs that are longer and stronger.  I saw it and felt it like the shot on my camera.. as a blur... a blur that will speed by way too fast, if I don't take the time to notice each precious moment.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just adore you! What a lovely post, and so timely! I took my kids to get their portraits taken this morning, and while I take and look at pictures of them all the time, it isn't until I look at the pictures of them taken by someone else that I realize how big and grown-up they are getting! And the personality that shines through in those pictures . . . just priceless. I love the shots of Dylan and of the beautiful flowers - you are all so lovely!

blue china studio happy said...

Jen, I know exactly what you mean about getting that little jolt when you see them as they might be when they are older. It does fly by, oh so fast. You are wise to appreciate each moment!

Brooke said...

I know! I catch one of the boys out of the corner of my eye sometimes and think... that certainly can't be my guy. No way!! Sure enough, they are sprouting like little weeds. Funny, I did look at that picture of him running and thought, wow, he is sure growing!! Crazy how it flies ;D

Brooke said...

Did you rename your blog? It comes up on my reader as "Blah."

Burgh Baby said...

I have that moment about once per week and it scares the crap out of me. Why can't we slow time down? Waaaaaah!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

This is so wonderful and true. And he is going to be a heartbreaker for sure.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Oh Lord. Me too. :( This happens to me often.