Saturday, December 31, 2011

Reflecting on 2011

A fun little questionnaire to reflect on the past year. I found it on Nicole's blog, Oh My Words, who found it on All & Sundry's blog.  I didn't want to analyze it TOO much.  Just went with my first thoughts, and didn't even answer some.  Next, I want to do a "Year In Pictures" video, and Dylan's firsts for the year.

1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
  (See "Before 40") - Took Dylan to the beach.  Wore high heels (tried, I should say).  Baked a cake and made a pie.  Climbed a rock wall.  Took a printmaking class.  Went on a carriage ride (with Santa, my friend Diane, and Dylan).  Took Dylan ice skating.  Became a consultant for Rodan + Fields.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? 
Um, did I make one?  I have no idea.  I am constantly coming up with new plans ("dreams and schemes", as my husband once said).  I've followed through on my "Before 40" idea for 5 months so far.



3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
 My friend Karen had a baby girl (her third child).

4. Did anyone close to you die?
My grandfather, Ken.  I miss his smile and his laugh the most.  I am so glad that I have memories of him and Dylan together.  Also, Jim's uncle, Gordon, who was another special guy.
My ex-fiance, Brian, died this year.  I have no idea of the circumstances, but even though I was not his biggest fan, it is still sad that he died so young.

5. What states/countries did you visit?
 Ocean City, Maryland, and visited my friend Julia in Maryland. 

6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
 Money.  More friends.  A wardrobe I don't hate.  Paint on the walls of my home.

7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

*January 18th - celebrated my grandpa's 98th birthday with him.  At 98, his mind was still sharp.  I will remember him laughing and crying when he looked at the birthday card I made him with photos of fun times as a family.
*February 6th - celebrated my dad's 70th birthday.  Unfortunately, the day involved watching the Steelers lose the Super Bowl, but still a fun day.
*March 10th - my grandpa died in the hospital.  The whole family was able to say goodbye to him.
*August X - Jim surprised me for my 39th birthday, with a trip to a Bed & Breakfast in Ohio.  We had an awesome time, but the fact that he planned the whole thing was the best part.
*November X - Dylan turned 5 (party at Gymkhana).

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Climbing a rock wall
9. What was your biggest failure?
 Selling stuff on Ebay, and the Pitt job
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Bronchitis
11. What was the best thing you bought?
 beach vacation
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
 Dylan - for making me laugh every day
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
many of my friends
14. Where did most of your money go?
 Seems like it went to Giant Eagle (groceries AND gas)!  
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
beach vacation
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJYXItns2ik, "Count On Me" by Bruno Mars.  Dylan and I sang it to each other on the way to school.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

a) happier or sadder? 

 I would say about the same for all of these.  I was happy then.  I'm happy now.  Could I be thinner and richer?  Yes.  But, still... happy.
b) thinner or fatter? 
 
c) richer or poorer?
 

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Traveled.  Laughed until my sides hurt.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
 Grocery shopping, paying bills, loading and unloading the dishwasher, cooking and cleaning up dinner, doing laundry... need I go on?

20. How did you spend Christmas?
At my mother in law's house with Jim, Dylan, my parents, and my in laws.  Talked, laughed, ate, opened presents, and played the "stealing presents game".
21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
 I fall in love with my son and my husband every time I watch the two of them playing together.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
 "An Idiot Abroad" cracked me up.  "Whitney" makes me laugh - probably because I'm a lot like her.  I was craving an actual "story", so I'm enjoying "Once Upon A Time".

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
 I don't hate anyone.  
24. What was the best book you read?
 Simplicity Parenting - didn't read nearly as much as I would have liked
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
 My buddy Nicole sends me recommendations.  She introduced me to the song "Fidelity" by Regina Spektor, which was a favorite this year.
26. What did you want and get?
 a beach vacation (how many times will this be the answer?!)
27. What did you want and not get?
To make so much money from selling R+F that I could quit my other job.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
 Crazy, Stupid Love
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 39. Bed & Breakfast in Ohio
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more
satisfying?

 ?
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
 Where is Stacey & Clinton?
32. What kept you sane?
Love and laughter
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
 
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
 
35. Who did you miss?
My grandfather.  (And my grandma, actually.  Now that they are both gone, I really miss having grandparents).
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Jenn from Juggling Life.  She came to Pittsburgh from sunny California, to look at colleges with her son, and took the time to drive about 1 1/2 hrs to meet me for lunch.  A lunch that ended up lasting 6 hours!  
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
?
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. ?
39. How did you ring in the New Year? Same way as last year.  Went to dinner with Jim and Dylan.  When Dylan is in bed, Jim and I will watch a movie, and drink Rum & Cokes.

40. Do you have a goal for 2012? Keep doing "Before 40".  Just really treasure the time I have with Dylan, before he starts kindergarten.  Continue to plan fun things, but also to find the fun in the ordinary, everyday moments.


Happy New Year Everyone!

3 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I'm verklempt! I made the list. You and Suzy Soro are tied for my best new person--you are both people that I am so happy to have been able to move from the "blog friend" category into the "real life" category.

Someday you and I are going to add JCK into our "Blogging Jennifer's who are friends in real life" club!

Happy New Year, Friend!

Brooke said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! I love this little Q&A - I am not sure I am any frame of mine to give it a whirl.... or I just might ;D
HUGS to you.

Elissa said...

what a fun way to sum up the year! and i am CRAZY impressed that you've already accomplished something for the year! we are tackling some basement cleaning today... as always i am on to a new plan to make my house more organized and comfortable and usable for our family. probably i will never figure it out.