Sunday, February 10, 2008

Did You Hear About...?

I don't always read Pam's blog, but one day I felt compelled to read it. That day, she happened to post the results from a quiz that she had taken, about whether or not people like her, and why they do, and why they don't. She said her results were pretty accurate. So, I went to the site, and took the quiz. I was a bit confused, because it said that people definately like me, but then under why people don't like me, it said that I often bore others and myself. Wha..HEY! I strongly disagree with that, you stupid quiz! But, I have to admit, the next one - that I am too judgemental and overly opinionated - well, yea, that is right on. But, the next one really made me think - that I gossip too much and people wonder if I am gossiping about them. Um, ouch. As much as I hate to admit it, I do gossip. When I'm with X, I talk negatively about our mutual friend Y. I will say that I don't always start the gossiping, but if someone else starts it, I seem to jump right in.

I'm not the biggest gossip, and I'm not even sure that people would say that about me, but I do it, and it bothers me that I do it. I know that people are also gossiping about me. I could probably even tell you what they are saying. Most women are gossips. Have you ever been to a party with all women? Do you want to know why women always go to the bathroom in groups? It is because we KNOW that when someone leaves the room, that the other women WILL be talking about us. If we take others, hopefully they will be even more annoying than we are, and everyone will discuss them.

Jim and I had a date today. When we were able to actually sit down and have an uninterrupted conversation, I brought up the gossip thing. I asked Jim, "Is there anyone that I haven't said something negative about at some point?" After thinking about it, (a loooong time), he thought of one person. I thought of another one. "Wow, so there are only 2 people that are safe from my negative gossip?!" (All my friends and family are now saying "Geez, I hope I'm one of the 2! - By the way, I will never tell who those 2 are, so don't even ask. Just assume it is you. Okay?)

Somewhere, at some point in the past, I saw people conducting an experiment. They put these bracelets on their left wrist. The goal was to go 7 days without making a negative comment. If they did, they had to switch the bracelet to their right wrist, and start all over. They had to keep switching the bracelet, and couldn't take it off until they finally went 7 whole days without a negative comment. We all know people who would probably die with that dang bracelet still on their wrist, don't we? So, my idea is this... I'm going to wear a bracelet for 7 days, or 243 days, or however long it takes, (please, God, let it only be 7 days since I am actually telling everyone this idea, like an idiot), without gossiping about anyone. But first, did you hear about Burgh Baby's Mom, Sparx, Elsie, Jck, and Kellan?






They're AWESOME.

14 comments:

The Girls' Mommy said...

Good luck!!

Nicole said...

Wowee. I need to take that quiz. I am with you on the gossip thing. I <3 gossip. I love to gossip, even though I know its horrible and I know that its a bad trait. I am going to try the bracelet thing!

Cecily R said...

What a GREAT idea! I think I need a bracelet!

Burgh Baby said...

You didn't strike me as gossip-y. Huh. Were you holding out on me?

For a long time, I was completely oblivious to all gossip. I hung out with all guys in high school and college, and talking about people just wasn't on our agenda. But then I entered the workforce and started having to be around women all the time. You are so right, women are the worst gossips of all time. Sadly, I've been sucked in. I've been trying to knock it off, but it's tough when you work with a lot of woman and other people are pretty much all they talk about. *sigh*

Good luck with the bracelet! I know you can be freed in seven days if you set your mind to it.

Jen said...

Nicole and Cecily, If you do the bracelet thing, let me know how you do.

BBM, Well, we don't know that many of the same people, but I do recall us talking about a certain someone not being very interesting. I'm sure that was all your fault, though.

Joanna said...

Wow! You got me - made me think I need to get me some bracelets. Is it one bracelet for each person cuz that could get interesting.
I think I would need to baby step this - work on one person at a time.

Kellan said...

I think we all have our moments - I like the braclet idea - good luck and I'm sure it will go well and maybe just being hard on yourself.

Thanks for the linky-love - you are a good friend and YOU ROCK! Take care - Kellan

Sparx said...

That is a great idea but I'm not going to try it... I'm very positive and hate to say negative things about anyone but you know what? I probably say something awful about someone I've never met who's done something silly on the street or in their car about 10 times a day so I'd probably die in that bracelet.

And hey! Thanks for the linky-poo, that's so cool. I'm leaving you something on my blog that you probably already have but never mind!

Amy said...

i like that bracelet idea!

i think all humans fall victim to gossip whether you are on the giving or receiving end of it.

i love to hear scoop (as i refer to it with my husband). though i try not to spread stories with friends' or acquaintences, i don't see it as being really negative if you're keeping between you and your husband. perhaps i am just making excuses for myself?

i think it's just awful though when people spread stories that could really hurt someone.

i still like the bracelet thing, though!

have a great night!

Jen said...

Joanna, That is really funny that you would need one bracelet per person! It made me think of those tacky jelly bracelets everybody wore all the way up their arms in the 80's!

Kellan, You are very welcome. You're a great friend also.

Sparx, Saying things about stupid strangers who can't hear us can't possibly count or we would ALL die in those bracelets!

Amy, I don't think that counts! If we can't complain to our husbands, who can we complain to? If we keep everything inside we'll implode, so that's not good either.

Pam said...

Hey- what? you don't always read my blog? I'm hurt....just kidding! I know it is hard to keep up with all your daily blogs much less with those newbies who jump into your life one day. I understand.

I love your blog and I don't think you are boring or gossipy. But I think you are right - women do that. I know I don't always start it, but I do fall into it when I am with other women.

Good luck with the challenge! Can't wait to hear about how it goes!

Jen said...

Wow. I definitely need one of those. I gossip waaaay too much.

Good luck!

JCK said...

This is very cool! And HOW in the world do you have such beautiful hands and nails!!!! I am SO jealous. Or did you hire a hand model?

Jen said...

Jck, Are you serious? I had to look at the picture, then look at my hands and nails to see what the heck you are talking about. My nails are constantly breaking off, and my hands are cracking they are so dry. I always did have piano player long fingers, though. (I took lessons for 12 years, too).