Well, a while ago Marie tagged me to do the "Quirky Meme". When I read that I was supposed to come up with 6 quirky things about myself, I thought, "I'm not going to be able to do that. I'm totally normal. I don't have any weird quirks". But, just in case, I figured I would ask Jim. Unfortunately, I asked him during dinner, and as usual, our conversation was steered off course by a certain 15 month old. Two or three days later, I brought it up again, when Dylan was asleep in the car, and we were on our way to look at houses. Strangest thing happened... Jim started spouting off quirks like a fountain! So, whatever, apparently I'm a little quirky. Here are just the first 6 he thought of...
1. I don't untie my shoes to take them off. I always just step on the back with the toe of the other foot, and slip them off. That usually results in the heels of my shoes being pressed down. Maybe it is sheer laziness. Maybe it is hereditary - my dad does the same thing. All I know is, it drives Jim CRAZY. As unluck would have it, I can wear the same shoes as my husband, and if I do, he finds them with the backs pressed down. I bought a pair of men's slippers for myself, since I rarely find my stupid size, but Jim thinks they are his, so when he finds them with the back pressed down he gives me "the look".
2. When I watch tv, and get really into a show, I go into some sort of trance, and my mouth hangs open. When someone tries to talk to me, I often take a while to answer, because I am so In The Zone. It is a right brain thing. When I am totally using the right side of my brain, I go into The Zone, and lose track of time and place. It used to happen all the time in my art classes. I had a class right before dinner one day of the week, and my roommate used to tell people, "Don't even bother trying to talk to Jen for at least 10 minutes. She is still In The Zone." If you don't know what I'm talking about, really that sucks for you.
3. I sometimes twirl my hair around my finger. That little quirk used to drive my dad insane! I did it a lot more often then. I think I mostly just do it when I'm bored. Luckily now, I have a hand to hold, (right Jim?), so that occupies my crazy, fidgety hand with a mind of its own.
4. This one, Jim didn't even know about - wow, did that intrigue him! I had to tell him to get his mind out of the gutter, of course. When I go to a movie, I sometimes act out the parts later, when I'm alone in my car. I really don't think I have a secret desire to be an actress, so why do I do it? Who the heck knows? Cuz, I'm quirky, I guess.
5. Along that same vein, I talk to myself all the time. (They're coming to take me away, Hee, Hee, Haw, Haw.) I find that it helps me think things through. Like if I lose something, I'll say, "Okay, I remember having it when I was eating breakfast. After breakfast I..." Or, "Now, why did I walk in this room again? I came in here to get something. I was looking through my mail, and that made me think of X, which made me realize I need to X..." I often grumble aloud about stupid people, also. This one could really get me in trouble if I grumbled just a bit louder. Luckily, now that I have Dylan with me most of the time, I can pretend like I am talking to him, instead of my loony self.
6. This is another one that drives Jim nuts. I really don't know why. Doesn't everybody put their silverware they are using to eat with, back on their napkin, instead of on the table, and then steal their spouses clean napkin?
So, that's me. I'm a freak with a bunch of quirks. But, much more importantly, I am also Excellent. Sparx, Jonny's Mommy, and Pam all say so. Thanks, you guys! I live for compliments, but I'm just quirky that way.
(I'm not going to tag anyone, because everytime I do, it stresses people out, and everyone has enough stress right now!) I'm also not passing the bloggy bling along, because I think everyone I would give it to, already has it. But, hey, if you don't, feel free to grab it.)