Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Visit

Sorry, but I've been doing so many things lately, that I will have to do several short posts in one day to catch up!

On Wednesday, Dylan and I took a "trip" an hour and 15 minutes north to visit Doug's family. I usually only see them 2 or 3 times a year, and the last time I took Dylan to visit was last September. But, it was as if we were just there the day before! He walked in ahead of me, and went straight to where Doug's sis-in-law had set up her son's old train set the last time. Sure enough, she had it ready for him. Boy, I don't know what got into my usually not affectionate kid, but he was following her all over the house, sitting on her lap, and giving out hugs! (It might have had something to do with her giving him bowls of blueberries!) She also made him a special lunch, with chicken nuggets, fruit, and a cupcake!

The grownups had homemade broccoli/cheese soup and a strawberry salad. That girl shames me every time with her delicious cooking! I'm domestically challenged, you know.

Dylan had a blast! He put on a show for them, singing, dancing, letters, numbers, etc. The kid loves praise, and they showered him with it. Doug's grandma, who gave him his beloved "puppy", gave him another stuffed animal that is sure to become a favorite. He also got gifts from Doug's mom, sis-in-law, and uncle. No wonder he loves going there!

Dylan also got to see Doug's brother's amazing train display, complete with 5 trains going at once, smoke and whistles! A little boy's dream!

A bittersweet moment was when Doug's mom, sis-in-law, and I were sitting in the living room talking. Dylan was in the dining room with Doug's brother, when he suddenly brought him a picture of Doug, asking who it was. Oh, my heart!

We had a great time. It is always so nice to see them, and we look forward to our next visit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that Doug's family is a part of your life and that they are so loving and welcoming of Dylan - I can only imagine how special he (and you) are to them. Yeah for a great day!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I love that we can keep so many people in our lives these days--so much more than in the past. I am sure they treasure the time with you and Dylan so much.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

I'm glad that you had a good day and were able to show Dylan to them all. That's so sweet! I bet he just charmed the pants off of them.