Wednesday, September 1, 2010

First Day Of Preschool / 4 Year Old Class

Today was Dylan's first day at the new preschool.  If you remember, I decided to put him in the 4 year old class, even though he won't turn 4 until November.  Hopefully, that will be the right decision.

He has been counting down the days until school, screaming "TOMORROW IS THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!!" at me, when I got home from work yesterday.  He was very excited.  Oh sorry, he informed me and Jim this morning, "I'm not excited!  I'm happy!  I'm only this excited (putting his hand from the floor to his waist), but I'm this happy (putting his arms out as far as they could go)".

Last night when I reminded him about school, he said, "I have to go pick out my clothes!", while already running up the stairs.  Now, if you know me, you know this is hard for me - letting him pick what to wear, on his own.  But, I figured, if I want him in the 4 year old class, I better start treating him like a 4 year old.  I might have even muttered "Unclench, Jen" to myself on my way up the stairs.  But, then he said he wanted to wear red or orange.  Um... he has red(dish) hair.  I don't buy him red or orange.  He had one red shirt - a sleeveless "muscle" shirt.  I just couldn't do it.  

Then, he picked out a gray shirt, with red lettering on it.  I was fine with that.  But, since I love to be predictable, I hadn't done laundry, and he only had 2 shorts clean.  Neither went with the gray shirt.
This is what he ended up choosing...



But, wait!  Then came this morning.  A while back, I bought some new underwear for him, but mistakenly grabbed the size 6-8, instead of the smaller size.  I figured he'd use them eventually, so I washed them and put them in his closet.  Apparently, he found them.  He insisted on wearing a pair of the ridiculously big underwear to school, and I... let him.  You have to choose your battles after all.  This picture says it all...


He also insisted on wearing the crown he got at the Renaissance Festival with his grandparents.  I let him wear it in the car.  Oh, and of course, "Puppy" went along for the ride.  Oh yes!  And, he woke up with a black and blue/swollen eye, and a cut on his face.  The minute my head hit the pillow last night, I was OUT (for reasons I won't go into at this time).  I didn't wake up once during the night.  I didn't stir.  I think a marching band could have passed through our bedroom and I wouldn't have noticed.  Which explains why when Jim said Dylan fell out of bed last night I had no idea what he was talking about.  He must have hit his eye on the way down.

So, for the first day of school he had a swollen eye, a cut on his face, underwear that could not be contained by his shorts, and did I mention we were late?  Thank you!  Thank you very much!  But, he had a good day.  His teacher said he "did a good job following directions, and was social, and happy all morning".  Dylan said they sang a silly song about an elephant, told me what they had for snack (of course!), and said that one of his teachers looks like a boy (she has short hair, and I'll just assume he didn't tell her that she looks like a boy - way to make a good first impression!)

We celebrated his first day with a "first day present" (some new books), by making pizza together for dinner, and going to get ice cream after.  It's all good.

7 comments:

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Jonathan goes to the three year old class next week. HOpe I made the right decision. I'm letting him wear whatever. My husband says I can't go to the school with them because I'll cry and that will make Jonathan cry more. I totally know he's going to cry...he's already started the crying about it and we have another week!

feather said...

kids develop their own style very quickly, don't they? i remember jaelyn at that age being obsessed with spiderman. she insisted on having spiderman panties, but don't you know, they don't make spiderman panties for little girls. so she wore man panties for an entire year! and i don't know where the infatuation came from, because she had never watched it or anything...

Brooke said...

Ahhhh - what a big kid! He looks so happy :D Poor guy about the eye...ouchie! I cringe every morning when Chase dashes off to get dressed. It is always interesting!

JCK said...

Oh, he's so ready for the 4 year old class! That is a wonderful day. He is just too cute!

Elissa said...

my kids CRACK me up when they decide on their own what to wear. ellerie is currently wearing a too big bathing suit over a too big pair of hand-me-down underwear, pink socks and white sneakers. she looks hysterical. In the toddler years tate would frequently be found wearing a pair of underwear and only underwear and his rain boots. and he is STILL obsessed with sweatpants.

congrats on the first day of school down. i, too, will be late. guaranteed.

Anonymous said...

Yeah for a great day! I think you made the right choice in putting Dylan in the 4-year-old class and just know he is going to do awesome!

And I did the same thing with underwear, only I mistakenly called them C.ooper's 'Kindergarten Underwear'. Guess what he HAD to wear on the first day?! I had to compensate by putting a bigger pair of shorts on him so that they didn't hang out too much!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

That sounds like a great day.

My control freak answer to clothing was to let them pick the most important thing--shirt or whatever and then I would coordinate the shorts to go with it. I understand the people that let them wear whatever, but no can do.

The crown was a perfect touch for any outfit, though!