Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Manic Depressive

I had the whole week off last week. Off from my part time job, that is. A mom is never truly "off", just different levels of "on". There is barely standing "on", just a caffeine fix away from good "on", good "on" (which is when you are managing the kids, house, and your own stuff, all with a smile on your face that is real, not drug or caffeine induced), and super warp speed "on" (which is when you are checking your emails, paying bills, feeding the baby, and talking on the phone all at the same time, and you've actually had a meal and bathed that day).

Anyway, when I picked up the girls from preschool, Bella, who I went rounds with the last time I saw her, ran at me full speed, and jumped into my arms, screaming with joy, "MISS JEN!!!", giving me a huge bear hug which took my breath away. What a greeting! If only everyone greeted me in this manner! (I will suggest this to Jim).

Then, not ten minutes later, she was screaming at me in anger, "I don't like you! You're not being nice!", because I refused to buy her one of the pumpkins for sale in front of the preschool. She scrunched up her little face, stomped her foot, and exclaimed, "Hhmpf!", when I ignored her tantrum. High highs and low lows.

Are all children manic depressive? Take Dylan for example. When Jim gets home from work, he is usually pretty cranky. (I meant Dylan, but sometimes Jim is also!) Jim grabs him and throws him up in the air, causing Dylan to erupt with laughter - wonderful, full bellied laughs that are infectious. A second later, when Jim stops, Dylan can be completely miserable, crying as if all the milk in the world ran out. Like I said, high highs, low lows.

Children experience their emotions so fully. They live passionately. If things are bad, they are really bad. If they are good, they are really good. They feel what they feel, without reservation and without apology. Most adults are pretty even keel. Their personality stays the same for the most part, and their emotions are kept in check. Pretty boring, you have to admit. Say what you want about kids. They're emotional, irrational, volatile, crazy, wild, even manic depressive! But, they are never boring.

1 comment:

The Girls' Mommy said...

Gertie is totally like that. "When I'm good I'm very, very good. But when I'm bad I'm AWFUL!" She's either up or down. Happy moments are so amazingly happy, and sad moments are exceptional drama.