Saturday, October 27, 2007

You Gotta Try These Things On?

I'm a moron. Months ago I bought Dylan a halloween costume, for $4, at a consignment sale I was at with my mom, while Jim was home with Dylan. I even called Jim on my cell to ask if he thought it was a good idea for Dylan to be a tiger. I said "It was the first name he had after all!" He agreed, and said that we could dress as people on a safari. I was just proud that I had saved money by buying such an inexpensive costume.

Fast forward to Friday. Jim took 1/2 day off so that he could go with me to take Dylan to the orthopedic doctor -again. The first time we waited one hour before being seen and enduring Dylan having xrays. I was so looking forward to going there again! This time we were told that the doctor was running late "due to surgery". We finally saw her 1 1/2 hrs later, after Dylan had crawled all over the disgusting hospital floors and touched all the germy toys in the children's waiting area. I left feeling dazed and confused. I asked Jim, "What did you get out of that?" Basically, we wait. No one seems to be able to give a clear answer, just more conflicting stories.

I dropped Jim off at work. We had decided to just take one car to the appointment, because I wasn't sure how to get there anyway, and Jim could always take the bus home later if he needed to. When I got home, Dylan and I enjoyed the day playing and creating chaos as usual. Around 4:00 I looked at him, and he just looked so cute wearing his halloween shirt with a skeleton that says "I Want Candy!", that I decided to do a photo shoot.

I took these shots...



Then, I decided to take some of him in the tiger costume. I wrestled Dylan into it, and could not believe my eyes! See for yourself...



Yep, it was WAY too big! Who would've thought you have to actually try costumes on? Obviously, not me. By this time, it was around 5:00, and I called Jim at work. My first words were "We have a problem". Poor Jim. That's not the best way to begin a conversation. He said when I said "We need to go out tonight and buy another costume", that he was actually relieved.

At that very moment, Dylan decided he had to eat. He started to scream his "You think your hearing is bad now, just wait" scream, so I told Jim he better take the 5:15 bus home, instead of me leaving to pick him up. He called at 5:40 to tell me the bus still hadn't come. (This is why no one uses public transportation). By the time he got a bus and got home it was 6:30. My son's bedtime is 8:00 and we were just leaving the house at 6:30 to look for a tiger costume for the next day's trick or treating! And, I hadn't eaten dinner and I was starving!

Jim called and asked if I could just pick him up at the corner to save time. Right after he called, Dylan was going to use his car that he walks in, and he fell onto the side face first, making his lip bleed. I got the bleeding to stop and held ice on his lip, then realized no one had fed the cat. I held my 20 lb kid in my left arm, opened the door, and bent down about to pour the cat food with my right hand. I came face to face with a present the cat left by the door - either a very large mouse, or a rat. I jumped back, spilling half the container of cat food onto the deck. "#@!@!", I screamed. If I put Dylan down he would eat half of it, so I continued holding him, while trying to scoop enough back in with the other hand, while the cat SAT on top of it. I then wrestled Dylan into his coat, almost throwing my back out, by bending in ways I am not meant to bend. I grabbed Dylan in my left arm, the ridiculously heavy diaper bag in my right hand, and opened the front door. As I was fumbling with the key, the cat ran inside the house (it is strictly an outside cat). I snapped and just started screaming "GET OUT!!" like a lunatic. After finally scaring the cat enough to get her to run back outside, we finally left.

I picked up Jim and we went to three different stores. No tiger. We had bought safari type hats so that we could be on a safari with our tiger, and now we didn't have a tiger. My stomach was rumbling and my patience was gone. We found a lion costume at Babies R Us, and since we learned our lesson, decided to try it on before buying it. We knew it would take both of us to wrestle Dylan into it, so we just went to an open area of the store, and started the wrestling match. Somehow my hand flew up and I cut Jim's lip with my fingernail and he started bleeding. I was tempted to yell "Don't get blood on the costume!", but I didn't think he would appreciate that.

Luckily, it all worked out, and we had fun taking Dylan trick or treating for the first time. And you would never know from the picture that it all came together at the last possible moment! Happy Halloween!

9 comments:

Karen said...

Hopefully the rest of the night went better! But the costumes are so adorable and a lion is just as good to sight on safari as a tiger.

Kellan said...

Just A.D.O.R.A.B.L.E! All of you. What a cute family and what great constumes!! Fun story - I'm glad it all worked out. Now maybe he will be a tiger again next year also - got that costume and all. See ya.

Kathy Gillen said...

Wow! I hope he got a good haul of candy for all the work you did! He is adorable.

I must have missed the reason for the orthopedic appts. in your earlier blogs. Would love a ranting partner!

Jodi said...

This sounds so much like my life! Everything happening at once...
I love the costume idea : )

Burgh Baby said...

Way cute! Make sure you enjoy some of that candy yourself. After all, you're the one that did all the work!

Jen said...

Thanks to all of you for the compliments!

laundry lessons,
Read "Stick a Fork In Me", or September's post "My Son, the Stuntman", for an explanation of his "special needs". I'm not a big fan of that term - don't all kids, and adults for that matter, have "special needs"? Like my husband NEEDS to have his coffee and newspaper before he can even think about starting his day on the weekend! Which of yours should I read?

The Girls' Mommy said...

I LOVE your costumes! So cute!

Zoe said...

Lord! What a workout...but it was worth it! He is adorable!

Shellie said...

What a day and 2 cut lips! But it all turned out great! He's so adorable!

Now just to brighten your day---

I'm tagging you! You have to share 7 random facts.

Rules:
Link to the person who tagged you; Share 7 random facts about yourself; Tag 7 other blog friends & leave a comment on their blog with the rules.

Have fun!