Thursday, October 18, 2007

This Is Blogging Ridiculous!

When I went to a writers' conference in Ohio, back on August 25th, I had high hopes of being discovered. Instead, I was told that all writers, (or wannabes), should have a blog and I have come to discover that blogging can completely take over your life. I figured that it wouldn't be a big deal. Once in a while, when the mood struck, and I had the time, I would write something. It would be an outlet for the writer in me dying to get out, it would be a nice journal of Dylan's life for him to read over when he's older, and it would be a great way to let friends and family know what's going on in our lives without breaking the bank on phone calls. I thought it would be simple. Boy, was I wrong.

I worried I wouldn't know what to write about. Instead, just about everyday, sometimes more than once, I think, "I have to write about that!" I should have realized this would be the case. Things just seem to happen to me. Jim says, "You're the only person I know who can go to the grocery store and come back with a story!" (and that's without kids). My old hairdresser once told me, "I love when you come, because I get to hear your stories!" The problem with having that many stories is, there is never enough time to write them all down, (or type them all out, as the case may be). There is a sense of disappointment in letting these stories go unwritten - gone forever, never to be retold.

Another problem is the myriad of stories that CAN'T be told, unless I want to go live under a rock somewhere. The ones about "x", "y", and "z", that they would kill me if I told, but that are so funny I find myself saying, "Well, how much do I really need "x" in my life, anyway?" The trouble with that rationale is, as I'm gaining cyber friends, I would be losing real ones. Real, as in screaming in my face, about to beat me up, real. Not that you cyber friends are imaginary, but you can't break my nose if I say something bad about you. But, it's all about ethics, you know, not me getting beat up.

Speaking of ethics, there is a certain set of ethics or rules of politeness that comes into play with blogging. When someone comments on one of my posts, I need to know who I'm talking to, (it's sheer curiosity), so I read their profile. I then visit their blog, and feel I must return the favor by commenting on one of their posts. But usually, to do that, I end up needing to read back a bit, and I find myself hooked, reading more than I intended to, and adding yet another bookmark! When someone comments to mine, I feel it is rude not to comment back, after all they took the time out of their busy day to read about my life. I find myself checking to see if others have commented to the comments I've left on their blogs. And, the vicious blogging cycle goes on.

Before I become a blogging addict, stop sleeping, find that rats have taken over my home, drown in piles of unopened mail and dirty laundry, and come home to find a note from Jim, and a social services agent at my door, I feel I must set some ground rules for myself for this blogging business. So, I am going to narrow my list, and only read between 8-10 blogs faithfully. I am only going to comment to their posts, and those left on my own site. I am not going to search for any others. Now, please don't think I'm a cyber snob, or hate me for my rudeness. It's just that I need to return to my regularly scheduled life already in progress. If I can't, I'll have to join a twelve step program. Those of you who can relate, repeat after me. "Hi, my name is _____, and I am a blogging addict".

3 comments:

Burgh Baby said...

I know exactly how you feel. I just told my husband that I think I should become a professional blogger. Then I could write and comment to my heart's content.

The Girls' Mommy said...

I have a friend who says, "Oh, that's bloggable!"

Shellie said...

yes, I found that soon I needed to set firm ground rules or else it would take me over.