Thursday, February 12, 2009

1 Little Problem

I mentioned before that missing pieces bother me. I've also mentioned that Dylan seems to have inherited a bit of Jim and I's "crazy".

Dylan has owned a Leap Frog magnetic numbers and letters set since his first birthday, (so over a year now). For quite a while now, the number 1 magnet has been missing. It has been missing for so long, that I have come to accept it. But, Dylan, who has recently become OBSESSED with numbers and letters has decided that the missing 1 is a problem.

This was our house yesterday...

Dylan: "A, B, C, D...", (while lining up the letters on the floor. When he was ready to do the numbers, he suddenly stopped). "Where the 1? Where the 1? WHERE THE 1?"

Jim: "The one is missing, buddy".

Dylan: "Where the 1? WHERE THE 1?!?"

Me: (To Jim) "The 1 has been missing a long time. It was missing at the old house".

Dylan: (Getting up) "We go to the old house now!"

Me: "Dylan, I think you must have thrown it in the garbage and it was thrown out".

Dylan: (Getting up to go look in our garbage can) "I get it!"

Me & Jim: (Laughing) "No, Dylan, at the old house!"

Dylan: (Stops to look at us as if we are failing to understand the situation) "WHERE THE 1?!"

Me: "Dylan, honey, I think you threw it in the garbage at the old house, and the garbage truck took it away".

Dylan: "We go get it!"

Me: (Realizing this could go on a very long time) "Dylan, the garbage took it away, but we don't know where it is. It's GONE. We can't go get it."

Dylan: "We NEED the 1!"

Me: (Trying to redirect) "Dylan, do you want to read a book?"

Dylan: "No, I want the 1!"

Oh boy. That went on and on and around and around until bedtime. This morning he seemed to be over it. Then, Jim made a BIG mistake. He said, "I brought the recyclable bin back. With this wind, the bottles are just going to blow everywhere. I hope the bin doesn't blow away. Don't we have another one? Oh, I think that was at the OLD HOUSE". That set the whole process back in motion. "WE GO TO THE OLD HOUSE AND GET THE 1!!!"

I'm going to have to go to the Leap Frog website, and see if you can buy single magnets, aren't I?

7 comments:

The Girls' Mommy said...

We have the letter version, and the only ones we have left are B, W, Y, L, A, M, U (currently hanging up in that order...)

Gina said...

Too funny! Maybe you can find a new set on ebay or something like that.

Burgh Baby said...

Yeah, good luck with that. I've been trying to find the "F" for our Word Whammer for a very long time. Ugh.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Like Jonathan, Dylan has a one track mind. He does not forget either. When he wants something it is very hard to distract him from it and change his mind. Your kid seriously cracks me up.

Sparx said...

You are. You're mad. Good luck! Sounds from the comments like there needs to be a swap meet for missing letters and numbers!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

You are so in for it!

Janet said...

Yep, that's it, not buying it. My kids would have me at the dump pawing through the filth.