Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Day Out With A Friend

When you are single, getting together for a "girl's day out", usually involves chatting and laughing over a meal and drinks for hours, until your waitress starts giving you "the look" as she walks by your table. You might talk about current events, movies, a great deal you found, a great book you are reading, etc. Oh, who am I kidding? When I was single and out with a friend, we talked about MEN. That is pretty much all we talked about.

Now that I am married, and have a child, getting together with a friend is slightly different. Sunday, I met up with Burgh Baby's Mom for a "play date" with our kids.

It involved...

-an indoor play area with way too many kids and way too much noise
-tears and hugs when another kid kicked Dylan's back going down the slide (that was before BBM even got there!)
-a "scary" monster guy
-two kids side by side, giving each other sideways glances, but having no clue how to interact (at first)
-two kids looking adorable, holding hands while walking through the mall
-three potty trips
-a vomit scare
-a pee puddle on the floor
-shared animal crackers
-a booster seat falling off the chair and unto the floor with a kid still in it
-a kiss from a little girl to a little boy...and another...and another...and another...
-an embrace that landed them on the floor, me thinking they needed to get a room
-a quick glance at the fish
-an emergency outfit purchase
-a child running up and down the aisles of a store while being chased by a frustrated mommy
-a merry-go-round ride
-a ride on a "roller coaster", sitting side by side with their hands up

Like I said, when I was single, going out with a friend was slightly different. These days, a day out with a friend is a success if it happens. Oh, and if we get to finish a sentence, that is an added bonus.

(Go to her blog, and click the Flickr button to see the pictures)

9 comments:

Quarantine Hobby said...

How true.

It's funny how much changes the second you have kids. Sometimes I miss going out with friends, having drinks, talking about men and school and gossiping about who knows what else. But little kid play dates are pretty wonderful, too. Who doesn't love emergency outfit purchases?!

Dylan is adorable! Those pictures of them are too cute.

You should come to a Burgh Mom get together some time! I'd love to meet you. We really aren't scary, I promise!

Burgh Baby said...

I'm shocked you and Dylan haven't gone to the courthouse to get a restraining order against my punk. I wouldn't blame you if you did.

I am a Tornado ~ proven fact! said...

I have to agree with allison - you should come to a burgh mom get together ...

MOST of us don't bite.

Yeah - the entire LIFE you had before kids is whhooooooooosh gone. It's all so very different now, but it's still freaking awesome.

Karen said...

The pre-parent me would have either laughed hysterically at the insane moms, or walked away shaking my head. The mom-me is saying "typical day in the life." I'm glad you had a good time.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Could they be any cuter? I don't see how.

Janet said...

Yes, those are the outings we have now. I've been to more public restrooms in the last year than I have in my entire previous 45.
And I paid for my snarky comment about junk food on your last post.
For dinner that night the Mountain Man made peas, lima beans, broccoli, and corn. THREE green vegetables at one meal. Actually I like all those except the peas, but still. I need a steak.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

I am jealous! Jealous I tell you! I want a playdate with you guys too!!!! *pout* *pout*

Kristi said...

Sounds like you all had a great time, puke scare, pee puddle and all. Saw Burgh Baby's photos and I must say they are one cute "couple". LOL. Very sweet. I agree. Times spent with friends aren't quite the same when kids are along for the ride. But any time out at all and adult contact is good enough for me!

Sparx said...

Finish a sentence!! HAHAHAHAHaHahahahaha... hiccup. Oh, my oh my oh my, those were the days...