Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Being Healthy Part 1 - Exercise

I don't exercise. The desire to exercise comes and goes like the ebb and flow of waves crashing against a rock, and even though the rock sometimes moves a bit this way, and then a bit more the other way, it remains stuck in the sand. I could make excuses. "I just don't have the time", is a favorite of many. But, I've known people who set their alarms an hour earlier to make time to exercise. Me, I like sleep - A LOT.

There are people who make a commitment to exercise at night, instead of watching TV. More power to them. Me, I like TV - A LOT.

There are people who run in the rain, snow, cold, and wind. Like my old college buddy, Lee, used to say, "The only reason for me to run is if someone is chasing me".

So, it all boils down to this - lack of "stick-to-it" tiveness. Hey, I tried. I bought those Tae Bo tapes. I punched and kicked the air with vim and vigor - for a few months.

I bounced around in the water with those feisty old ladies in my Water Aerobics class - for a few months.

I bought some sort of apparatus to do crunches and I crunched myself silly - for a few months.

These days, I'm working on embracing my inner lazy self. At least for a few months.

6 comments:

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Oooh I can so relate to this one. I've been trying to keep up on the exercise, but yes, sleep usually wins out after a long day of work and lately...long arguments with the toddler from everything to taking a bath, to getting his diaper changed, to going to bed, to brushing his teeth, to walking to and from the car to.......shall I go on?

The Girls' Mommy said...

My best friend says she has "a natural tendancy to conserve energy". You aren't lazy, you're thinking GREEN.

Sparx said...

Yeah... me too!!!! I'm so rubbish at exercising but I really really do try. For a few months.

Anonymous said...

While there is certainly something to be said about physical fitness, there is also something to be said about living life and enjoying all that it has to offer . . . particularly when it is offering a fresh baked cookie or two! The struggle to balance the two is difficult - I wish you luck with that!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Why is it all the things I love most are sedentary? Reading, the computer, movies and sleeping. I like cooking too and you have to move for that, but then you sit down to eat.

Janet said...

The running thing you mentioned? Yeah, that's me, too. (Speaking of which, yes, I'm back finally. I hope to get caught up on the last 2 months, but I'll try to avoid commenting on EVERY post so I don't crash your inbox.)
I don't even have TV and exercise is still not high on the priority list. I figure the fact that I live in a 2-story house helps.