Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Basically, I'm A Clown

Ever since Dylan was born (okay, I've worked with kids before that, so it might have been longer), I have found that I'll do just about anything to make him smile or laugh.  What can I say?  I just love that sound!  Ever since he could laugh, he's been doing it loudly and often.  I wish everyone thought I was as funny as Dylan seems to.

One thing I do to make him laugh is to make up silly words to songs.  Here's a few examples...
(Yankee Doodle)
Dylan Doodle went to town, riding on a pony
Stuck a feather in his cap and called it macaroni...
(It's just fun to say "Dylan Doodle", and it always made him smile).

(This is his favorite lately).
Old McMommy had a house, E-I-E-I-O,
And in that house, she had a Dylan EIEIO
With a talk talk here, and a talk, talk there,
Here a talk, there a talk, everywhere a talk talk...

Old McMommy had a house, EIEIO,
And in that house, she had a "Daddy", EIEIO
With a drill drill here, and a hammer hammer there,
and a

Old McMommy had a "Puppy",
With a "Where's Puppy?" here, and a "Where's Puppy?" there..

Old McMommy had some toys,
Toys here and Toys there, Toys here there and everywhere...

(This is probably my favorite... sung to the Oscar Mayer song...)
My buddy has a first name, it's D-Y-L-A-N
My buddy has a second name it's (Blah, blah, blah, never you mind)
I love to hug him every day, and if you ask me why I'll say,
Cuz Dylan (Blah, Blah) has a way of bringing joy to every day.

Like I said, I just enjoy being silly and making him laugh.  One night at dinner, Jim was running late, and I sat in the chair he usually sits in.  Dylan said, "You're Daddy!"  I chanted...
"Hi!  I'm Daddy!  I work and work and work all day!  I never get to play!
And this is what I have to say - BOOOOO!"  When "Daddy" got home, the chant made him laugh, too.

Having kids is such a great excuse to be silly.  They love it, and laughter is infectious after all.  What do you do to be silly with your kids?  Please share.




3 comments:

Brooke said...

Those are so cute and I could probably just steal them just like they are and use them with my Dylan. We like to make up words to songs too. Sometimes I whoop them up and sing rock-a-bye-baby and then pretend to drop them at the end when the cradle falls (okay, that sounds kinda mean, but they LOVE IT!) Dylan will demand me to "Rock da baby igan!"

feather said...

we potty talk a but too much around here. with some limitations, of course (like, only when it's just us. our potty mouths are not used in public or around others).
we joke about spankings. when my husband gets home, i'll say loudly, "hey, dad! camden been waiting for you to get home so you can give him a bit fat spanking!" or we joke about who's wearing pink panties today. particularly funny if daddy is accused of wearing the pink panties today.

more information about me than you wanted to know, right? and yes, i am a childhood educator. *snort*

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

that is so funny! I do these songs too....but jonathan usually tells zme to hush