Wednesday, May 26, 2010

One Man Show

Recently, we took Dylan to The International Children's Festival.  While there, we saw a show - The Zany Umbrella Circus.  Basically, it consists of one man, juggling, doing tricks, and walking on a tightrope.  I only thought it was "okay", but it certainly left an impression on Dylan.  Ever since then, you can hear, "Look at this!  Look what I can do!  Huh?  Huh?", echoing through the halls of our home.  It's the "Huh?  Huh?" that makes me laugh, as he "balances" a balloon on the end of a bat, "juggles" balls, or does his own, odd version of standing on his head.  It isn't helping that his daddy could probably start his own show.  Jim is a pretty good juggler, and he can balance stuff on his nose, head, finger, whatever.  I guess we are a family of clowns!  Dylan finds this fact delightful, of course.  Me, I'm just amused, watching the two of them practice their circus tricks.

A few weeks ago, I took Dylan to visit Doug's family.  Doug's brother is a drummer, and they just finished a music room in their basement, complete with several guitars and a drum set.  When Dylan saw the drum set his eyes got as big as saucers.  As he played, I really wasn't sure I would ever be able to get him out of that room!  Luckily, Marsha had waited until the end of our visit to show him the drums.

I wasn't extremely surprised when he told us, last week, "When I grow up, I'm going to be a SHOW!"  "Who will be in your show?", we asked.  "Just me!"  "And, what will you do for this one man show?"  "Play the drums... and sing!"

So, in the future, when the walls of my home are vibrating, and my neighbors are forming a group to complain about the loud drumming, I am blaming this guy...

and you, Marsha!  Remember, when Noah was little, and I'd buy  him things like that toy that made loud noises when you hit it off stuff, or the Spiderman glove that shot silly string all over your basement?  It's payback time, isn't it?

My plan is to get him so focused on these tricks...





he'll forget all about the drums.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sister's college roomate's husband (follow that?) is a clown and stays at home with the kids working only weekends and makes over $65,000 a year. Yeah. It might pay off. Keep practicing.

Julia

JCK said...

So cute that boy of yours. I can't believe how big he looks in the header!

Have missed being here, Jen.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

That is funny! Maybe he and Jonathan can juggle together in a circus of their own! :-)

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT! He strikes me as one heck of a performer, and I hope for the sake of your ears, he sticks with the juggling and the balancing!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

What a great hobby. I say you teach him how to ride a unicycle instead of a bicycle!

My husband is a juggler too--it impresses me to no end.