Monday, May 10, 2010

Our Story

Jim,

In March of 2000, I stumbled onto a black and white photo of a cute, confident looking artist online.  "Is your name really Raphael?", I asked, along with two other questions that had you intrigued.  You emailed back, answering my questions, and as I read what you had written, I smiled.  "I read your profile, and I must say, it was good reading.  Very endearing.  We have similar hopes and dreams, plans and schemes... only you're much cuter".  That is how our love story began.

On May 10, 2002, we stood in a gazebo, overlooking the ocean, as the adorable Jamaican minister pronounced us husband and wife.  "James and Jen-EE-fer"...Forever.  We had no idea what the future held, but we were ready to start the next chapter.

Yes, the past eight years have brought hardships.  A house with loser renters, the deaths of our grandmothers and Jack, a failed business, trying to get pregnant for two long years, infertility tests and procedures, financial struggles and a burgulary.

But, the past eight years have brought so much joy.  Vacations, parties, times spent with family and friends, a new house, and the birth of Dylan.  The hardships are big, and they seem so significant at the time, but really, it's the little everyday joyful moments that make this love story what it is.  The jokes, the laughs, the stories.  The homemade cards, the ten minute back massage swaps, holding hands while we watch TV, laughing at something funny Dylan said, arguing about the dishes or who's going to pack the bag, telling each other our best and hardest things.  That's what makes our love story special.  That's what makes it... ours.  I can't wait to see what the next chapter holds.

Happy Anniversary!
I Love You Big Time,
Jen

9 comments:

Mary said...

Happy Anniversary!! Wishing you many many more happy years!!
I might my husband the same way :)

Burgh Baby said...

Happy Anniversary!

Brooke said...

Wishing you a very HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Such a sweet and tender post. Isn't it amazing how time flys?

Stacey Richardson said...

Love it!! Happy Anniversary! My husband and I got married in Jamaica... Beautiful Place!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Happy Anniversary--what a lovely tribute to your marriage.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

I feel a bit peeping-tomish looking at such a sweet, personal letter. then again, you did put it on your blog. :-) I love it. So sweet! Happy anniversary!

Demon Deacon said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Demon Deacon said...

Sorry, that was me logged in as Ronnie...
Julia

Amber said...

Oh I LOVE it! I have so many questions about so much of what you wrote, but I'm going to have to ask another night because I'm so exhausted I'm almost cross-eyed. This letter was perfect & I wanted to get at least that much out tonight. Happy belated Anniversary! Hope it was spectacular!