Sunday, November 11, 2007

I Smell Beer...And Testosterone

My wonderful husband scored us two free tickets to the Steelers football game today, (Thank you, Monica!). Two free tickets only four rows back behind the team, baby! (You must add the word baby to everything for emphasis when discussing football - apparently). Try not to cry with envy, you fellow Pittsburghers, it's very unflattering.

I don't get to go to games often, but when I do, I am always incredibly amused - drunk guys and football, is there anything funnier? Us Steeler fans, we are passionate! I honestly didn't see a single soul who didn't have some sort of Steeler gear - jersies, shirts, and crazy hats... scarves, terrible towels, n'at. Well, I take that back, there was a blond chick wearing a fur, and high heels. I repressed the urge to scream "BOOOOO!!", as I looked around for some red paint. This is a football game, honey. You don't belong here.

There was quite possibly the only Browns fan sitting right next to us. He arrived drunk, and he got, well, drunker. He was too drunk to realize that he might want to keep a low profile, so he kept screaming and jumping around when the Browns did anything good. I was impressed with the Steeler fans around us. No one cursed him, or threw beer on his head, (I was waiting). He did manage to spill half a cup of beer on himself because he just couldn't get the hang of drinking out of a cup, I guess. That was really funny, or as Jim put it "You were laughing your ass off!" Check out this yahoo...This is him when he was putting a hex on our players and talking in tongues.


I am very thankful that the guy didn't puke on us.


Then there was this guy...



That, there, is Jesus, complete with the long flowing locks, robe, and a sign that read "Believe - Be Loud". Nice of him to take time out of his busy schedule to support the team. We appreciate that. He was pretty fired up, too.

The game was really, really close, (31-28), which made it all the more exciting, and we won, so it couldn't have been any better. Well, it could have been warmer, and not rained the whole second half, but whatever. The best conversation of the game didn't even involve football.

Jim: "Jen, why didn't you insist I bring my gloves?"
Me: "Hey, it's not my fault. I got them for you". (They were in the winter box - Jim didn't know where it was). "You decided not to wear them".
Jim: "You know I never know what I am doing".

Oh, man, why didn't I have my cellphone on Video for that? Crap! I love football. GO STEELERS!!!

11 comments:

Zoe said...

ha! i went to the lions vs broncos game last sunday. why do some women get dressed up like they are going to a club? my friend and i had a blast watching the drunk frat boys...not to long ago i would have been dating one of them...ewww.

Aunt Becky said...

Hilarious! He was PUTTING A HEX ON THE OTHER TEAM!?! Awesome...

.....did it work?

http://mommywantsvodka.psys.org

The Girls' Mommy said...

Of all the places we've lived, Pittburgh was the best for sports. It didn't matter if that year the teams were all terrible, everyone wore the colors and loved their teams. Ron and I still talk about how fun it was. Glad you got to go and had fun!

Kellan said...

What great tickets! What a fun day! Too funny - take care.

Pam said...

AHH! I AM SOOOOOOOOO jealous! We love the Steelers in my house. My hubby desperately wanted to go to a game, but couldn't get tickets. I am hoping he can get some for next year...he deserves to enjoy the experience live! Pittsburgh fans are the best! Glad you enjoyed the game!!

Pam said...

P.S. You can't see it in my picture, but I am wearing my Steelers shirt...I'll have to post the Steelers picture of my hubby and kids!

Burgh Baby said...

Can't type . . . speechless . . . SO JEALOUS!

Man, you got to go to one of the best games EVAH!

Maria (also Bia) said...

I love how your husband said that he never knows what he's doing. He must have really been caught up in the game to admit that!

Karen said...

We just hired a pastor despite the fact that he's a die-hard Brown's fan. Oh, the fun we had with him at the Sunday evening service as we all wore our Steelers apparel.

Jen said...

Zoe, women who dress up for a game are SAD! Don't they realize the guys will be watching the game or the even more scantily clad cheerleaders?

Becky, Yep, he really was! Apparently the amount of alcohol he consumed impaired his hexing powers because we still won! HA!

Julia, Thanks! Pittsburghers are great fans.

Kellan, It was a blast! Screaming and waving a towel around like a lunatic is fun!

Pam, experiencing it live is so different. The adrenaline and the excitement of the fans changes the dynamic. Hope you guys get to go to a game sometime.

BB'smom, It was one of the best games I've ever seen, definately!

Bia, the best part was the look on his face after he realized he had just said that out loud!

Karen, your church sounds like FUN!

Sparx said...

Great post - I normally hate spots but you make it sound kinda fun!