Friday, September 7, 2007

The Universe is Granting Requests

I think I was born at the wrong time. I should have been born during the women's lib movement, because I would have fit right in. Jim says, "What soap box are you on now?", to refer to my rants about women in society. But, even Jim was amazed by what happened a few nights ago.

We were watching tv after putting Dylan to bed, when a commercial for an upcoming movie came on. In it, Milla Jovovich is a bad ass chick, fighting zombies, and that is pretty much the story line from what I could tell. "OH, COME ON! THAT IS SO RIDICULOUS!", I exclaimed to an already amused Jim. He knew what was coming. Let me just say, I really like Milla Jovovich as an actress. I love the fact that she doesn't fit the Hollywood mold. You know, the star with blond flowing hair and huge boobs. How can that woman save anyone with those boobs in the way?! - (maybe I'm a tad jealous).

I was upset about something else. "Why is it that when a movie has a woman as the star she has to be fighting imaginary stuff!! Why can't the heroine be fighting against terrorists or mobsters, or something real?! No, the woman always has to be the one being saved! I'm sick of it! Didn't Jodi Foster start her own production company? She's a bad ass - why doesn't she produce a "real" movie with a woman as the hero?!" I can't remember if Jim said anything. I think he just smiled his "you're so cute when you're irrate" smile, and we continued watching our show.

I SWEAR when the next commercial break came on there was another commercial for another upcoming movie. The movie was "The Brave One " and here is the description..."After a brutal attack, she (Jodi Foster!) begins prowling the streets on a mission of revenge". Jim and I just looked at each other with our mouths open!

I couldn't believe it, so I went online to look into the movie further, and I discovered something even more amazing. Three other upcoming movies with strong heroic women in them! In the first, "In the Valley of Elah", Charlize Theron costars as a police detective who helps investigate a missing soldier case. In the second, "Eastern Promises", Naomi Watts is a London midwife who looks into the death of a patient, putting her in the sights of a ruthless Russian MOBSTER". Yep, that's right, a mobster. That takes care of one of my requests. In the third movie, "The Kingdom", Jennifer Garner costars as part of an elite team fighting TERRORISTS! That takes care of my second request.

Honestly, I am shocked. I will reserve judgement until I actually see these movies, but for now, things are looking good for women in the movies. Lets show the big wigs in Hollywood that we approve. Lets make movies with strong women heroes box office hits. Lets make them the top grossing films on their opening weekends. Lets let the world know women with small chests can be heroes too! And since the universe is apparently granting my requests, I would like a million dollar publishing contract. Or just a million dollars - I'm not picky. Gotta go. I have a bra to burn.

2 comments:

righteoustetris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
righteoustetris said...

I want to to see the "The Brave One", I'm interested on where they're going to go with it.

...But I do like some bad-ass chicks kicking butt in sci/fi and fantasy. Bio-engineered girl + zombies? YES, PLEASE.