Sunday, September 7, 2008

An Apology Letter

Dear Summer,

I feel awful. You left and I didn't even say goodbye. You know how much I look forward to your visits each year, and I truly didn't mean to neglect you this time. It just happened. This looking for a new house/showing a house/buying a house/packing up a house/selling a house/unpacking a house/selling a house stuff has been so time consuming that I didn't get to spend as much quality time with you as I normally do.

But Summer, trust me, I knew you were around. I felt your warmth on my face as I watched Dylan discover the joy of playing in the sand. (We were the palest family on the beach again this year!)



I watched water droplets from a fountain form a rainbow, as he and I sported cherry moustaches after enjoying some italian ice.



I listened to the infectious sound of laughter when he decided that sliding down a slide was incredibly fun, and often ridiculously funny.




I watched in amazement as he became a social butterfly, and play-dates became a necessity.


I marveled at his strength, as he picked up stones almost as big as his head, to throw in the creek.


I listened as he made animal noises at the farm, and got up close and personal with the "Moo", "Baa", "Bawk, Bawk", "Neigh", and "Quack".


I felt the cool, soothing water as we splashed around in the pool.


We swung, we quacked, we felt the wind in our hair.




Dylan has adjusted to our new house so easily, as if he doesn't miss the old house even a tiny bit. (I sure don't).
I am so happy to be in our new neighborhood, with friendly neighbors and more space, that I know it was worth neglecting you a bit. But, as always, I will be eagerly awaiting your return.

Oh, and Summer? Thanks for the memories.

7 comments:

Nicole said...

I know exactly how you feel... our summer was chaotic too (similar to yours... just add in a newborn!). Once we got settled into the new house, I was like "Alright! Summer is going to be great!" and then I realized that summer was practically over. Makes me sad. I have lots of great memories, but the summer just wasn't what I planned. But, I guess in the end, it really was a great summer after all.

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

I love the letters you write, such a cute idea! Summer went way too fast....

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

You might have been the palest, but you were probably the healthiest without all the sunburns!

Looks like you had an awesome summer.

Dylan is such a cutie! Of course you know that already.

Burgh Baby said...

I feel like I missed summer, too, and don't even have an excuse. *sigh*

So, are you saying that you did sell the old place? If so, congrats!

Janet said...

I missed summer too. But we're going to make up for it and go to the beach for a week. We leave on Friday. We're heading for Myrtle Beach. Hopefully Ike will leave us alone. And Josephine.

Kellan said...

What a great post, Jen!! I just loved it and loved the pictures of your darling boy! I'm glad you are enjoying your new house and getting settled in - it sounds marvelous!

Take care - Kellan

Shellie said...

SOb! See ya soon, summer!