Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Birthday Party

This past Saturday, we had Dylan's 2nd birthday party. Birthdays are a big deal in my family. We're not really of the "throw something together" or "just have something small" mentality. I definitely wouldn't say that I am a "party person", but when I do have a party, I usually think BIG.

This year, we rented a gym, complete with a very long trampoline, and tons of stuff for the kids to climb on. Dylan LOVED it. He has been talking about it all week. He has been talking about the trampoline and the cake the most, but also about the kids that were there. I think just being around all those kids put a smile on his face that lasted throughout the entire party. I barely saw him the whole time. I mean, I saw glimpses of him - ZOOM! - running over there. ZIP! - climbing over there. But, he never once checked in with me. If you asked him, "Dylan, where's your Mommy?", he would probably have said, "Mommy? Oh, she's around here somewhere, I think. I saw her when she brought me in. Gotta go! BOING!"

I talked with him for a few days before the party about what was going to happen. We even pretended to blow a candle out, so when the time came, and he blew it out on the first try, I had to smile. He is quite proud of himself, and is still demonstrating the miraculous feat.


Since we didn't have time to have him open his gifts at the party, we spent the whole day Sunday, together as a family, watching him open his gifts. Spending the day in our pajamas, playing with all those toys, with the snow falling outside - it felt like Christmas.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun! Our local grocery has that exact same cake - the kids make a beeline for it every time we go and have to spend a minimum of 5 minutes looking at it before we can start shopping!

The Girls' Mommy said...

I want to see more party pictures!

Anonymous said...

Wow sounds like he had great fun :)

Janet said...

The trampoline sounds fun. I've so far avoided the big invite a lot of people parties, because the Queen is so demanding now (she'll be 5 in January) that her expectations will eventually exceed our capabilities. We've been to a couple of big birthday parties, but so far one was at the pool and one at Pizza Hut, so she didn't really catch on that it was something we could do as well.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

That is so awesome! We will probably do something like that next year with JG, but this year was .. well, hell in a hand basket thanks to all the kids in my house!

He looks so happy here! So does Jim!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

He looks so grown up.

I'm with you--if you're going to throw a party, throw a party!

JCK said...

Sounds like you had a blast!