Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Thank You

Dear Dylan,

From the moment you were born, I was in love.

Actually, even before that, when I saw your little button nose on the ultrasound, I finally understood what the phrase "love at first sight" was all about.

I didn't think it was possible to love you any more than I did at that first glimpse.

Then, you grasped my finger with your tiny hand, squeezing as if to say, "I need you", and I thought I would actually melt onto the floor of your nursery.

The first time you smiled at me, I was so overcome with emotions that I cried, and then wrote a poem about it.

When you first said "Ma-ma", and when you first said "Mommy", I clutched my heart, finding it hard to breathe.

With each milestone you have reached, my heart has filled with pride.

When you ran over to help me unload the dishwasher, your face beaming up at me, I wrote this post.

When you hurt yourself and ran to me for comfort, I wrote this post.

When you first told me you loved me with sincere emotion I thought it couldn't possibly get any better.

Today, something happened, (it doesn't matter what), and I walked over to where you were busy playing. I sat down on the floor beside you, and announced, "Dylan, I'm sad!" You stopped playing, and looked up at me. "Why Mommy?", you asked. I explained why in the simplest terms I could think of, and you looked at me with your sweet face and said, "Mommy! I'll hug you, and then you'll feel all better!" Of course, I was smiling when you finished giving me a hug and kiss, and you said, "See? It worked!"

Later, during dinner, you asked me, "Mommy, you still sad?" I answered, "No, Dylan. I'm happy". How could I not be?

I don't know how you do it, kid, but every time I think that I couldn't possibly love you any more, you prove me wrong.

What can I say? Just these two little words that are so insufficient to express my gratitude for who you are, and what you bring to my life...

Thank you. (A million times, thank you.)

Love,
Mommy

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwww! The only thing my kids ask is if they are driving me crazy.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

What a sweetie.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

Sob! Oh my! So emotional. I'm going to cry now. Good thing I have to step out of the office for something so I can have a good cry in the car!

The Girls' Mommy said...

So sweet! (I hope everything's OK?)