Friday, March 5, 2010

Spring Dreams/Snow Play

Dylan and I have been very busy these past 3 days.  I am reading an AMAZING book, and it has completely inspired me in the parenting department.  I will definitely be talking more about the book in future posts.  For now, some pictures...

After the ridiculous amount of snow and cold temperatures in Pittsburgh this winter, we are very anxious for Spring to arrive.  We've been filling our minds with thoughts of Spring.  The days ARE getting longer - have you noticed?
The first order of business was changing this...
to this...
The little things make a big difference. I just couldn't look at that snow anymore!
We melted crayons into Spring shapes... (I got the pan at Target for $10 if you want one).
We made "Rain Sticks". (You put rice inside for the sound of rain. Oh, and if you make one of these, wrap a rubber band around the foil on each side, then put tape over the rubber bands. Unless you like rice flying all around your kitchen?)


Even though we are dreaming of Spring, we figured there was no harm in enjoying Winter just a bit longer so we went out in the snow. There was the tiniest spot of mud, and of course, my boy found it...

We enjoyed a snowball feast...



Slid into the snow...
Then, we headed to "The Jungle" (what he calls the trees behind our house)
He played with sticks for about 1/2 an hour...
The author of the book I'm reading says that kids NEED the outdoors. They need sticks and rocks and dirt. It fuels their soul. By the looks of this smile, I would say he is on to something.

7 comments:

feather said...

your book has be so curious. you ever bring rocks into the bathtub? you should try it.

The Girls' Mommy said...

I'm game--what book??

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with the author of that book - my kids NEED the outdoors. What great activities! And I so get changing those little things around the house! My "Let It Snow" sign on the front door is coming down ASAP.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Is it by Michael Gurrian? He is my absolute fave on books by boys. Or it could be Richard Louv. He used to write a column for our local paper. He's very passionate about kids and the outdoors.

In any event. YES!

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

We went outside today to an event and it was so nice to have the sun! I can't wait for spring, but I'll take at least some nice sun and fairly nice temps! Those photos are so cute!

Amber said...

I had to comment on your comment because it make me laugh. I turn 31 in a few months and unfortunately, the mass quantity of sugar I consumed will find its way to my thighs. I have gained 9 pounds since Thanksgiving (ouch!) and I am a highly scrutinized aerobics instructor. Not good. But, the sun finally came out and I started running again, so perhaps there is hope for me still?! (If I lay off the Milk Duds!!)

Anonymous said...

Those crayons look so cool!!

Also, I agree with the book that kids need outdoors. For some reason I think boys (and tomboys!!) need it so much more. I think there is a daily mud requirement of some sort...