Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Seventh Week Of Summer

Last week was another busy one.  Monday I took the day off work (and then ended up having to make it up Wednesday) so I could take Dylan to his first swim lesson.  I really should have done this last summer.

For this class, I have to be in the water with him (or my dad, the two days I had to work), and he is HEAVY.  There is a lady with a baby, a guy with a kid who looks about one year old, a lady with a kid who looks about 2, and me with my my 38 lb, extremely tall, extremely excited and splash-happy 3 1/2 year old.  As my dad said, "It is exhausting!"  But, Dylan is loving it.  He still doesn't want to get his head wet in any way, though.  Basically, they sing songs, like the "Hokey Pokey", and recite nursery rhymes, like "Humpty Dumpty" while sitting on the side of the wall, then falling into the water, where the tired adults catch them.  I think it is helping Dylan become more comfortable in the water, but I'm not sure I will choose this pool for the next class.  The girl is always starting the class late, but ending it on the dot, which annoys me.  Plus, she does a little with them, then says we can "play with the toys a little".  He has toys at home.  I'm paying for a SWIM class!  (I am definitely critical when it comes to stuff like this).

Also on Monday, I had an eye doctor appointment, where I basically demanded Restasis.  I've been trying to get various eye doctors to prescribe it for years.  What is the big deal?  My eyes have been extremely dry for years, so much so that I really only wear my contacts on the weekends, and special occasions.  Wearing glasses totally annoys me, but I've had to get used to it.  So, the guy said it can sometimes take 3 months to see a difference, so I'll just wait and see.

Tuesday, my parents took Dylan to see a Ronald McDonald show at the library.  They said he enjoyed it, but my mom didn't get any pictures, and Dylan didn't tell me much about it.  Wednesday, my dad took Dylan to swim lessons.  The next day he drew this picture of them in the water, "holding hands".



Wednesday, my day at work was tough (honestly, every day this summer at work has been tough), so when I got home I announced we were all going for ice cream.  I certainly didn't get any arguments!

                                       
Thursday, I took Dylan to my favorite park.  We fed the fish and the turtle, played on both playgrounds, had a picnic lunch, and played in the sand.  Well, actually he made some friends and the three of them played in the sand while I watched from the shade.  My favorite part was when Dylan was on the merry go round thing by himself.  Suddenly a field trip came and a horde of older kids jumped on the merry go round, surrounding him, talking loud, and making the thing go crazy fast.  One of the adults in charge came over to me and asked if Dylan was okay with it.  I said, "Look at him!"  He was loving it.  (Look for the shirt with the 6 in the picture).






















Friday I took him to swim lessons again, and you know how I spent my Friday night.  Saturday, the three of us went to Station Square for Summer Fest.  Dylan bounced in the bouncy house, made pictures for everyone he loves, enjoyed some shaved ice ( I thought about pouring it over my head, it was so hot!), and watched 3 shows - a magic show, a juggler/puppeteer, and a singing show "The Knights of Recycling".  After we watched that one, he looked at me and said, "Mommy, we need to change!"


(The fountains that coordinate with the music)




(The Knights of Recycling)






(I know I complain about living in Pittsburgh, but sometimes even I can see that it is pretty beautiful).

5 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Oh, thank goodness you're not one of those overprotective moms who freaks when older kids around. They are so not fun!

Amber said...

Can I come hang with you for the rest of my summer? You have so much fun it seems. And you also are so great about documenting with pictures! We did swimming lessons last week & my kids blew me away with their mad skills. I was a swimmer (pretty dang good one actually) & so I secretly hoped at least one of my daughters would be a fish in water as well.

Brooke said...

Don't feel bad. We just started Chase in swim lessons this summer and he is 5 1/2! Oh, and I love teh photos of Dylan on the Merry-go-round that got invaded. I am sure he LOVED it :D

Lindsay said...

Your photos are really beautiful Jen. I have had similar experiences with swimming lessons in the past....it is exhausting!

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

You seem to be having such an awesome summer!Jonathan was on one of those merry-go-rounds with a bunch of kids and loved it too!