Monday, September 13, 2010

Summer Reading 2010

Do you remember this post that I wrote back in May, when I vowed to read this summer?  Would you believe I read all but 3 of the books in that post?  (I added a few other choices, also).  These ten books in 12 weeks!


This is a BIG DEAL.  Me, saying I'm going to do something and actually doing it!  Don't get me wrong, if I tell a friend or family member I'll do something, I will.  It might take a while, but I'll do it.  But, when it is something I need or want to do, it often is forgotten or pushed aside.

I started to read these two, but quit, because I just couldn't get into them.  I was intimidated by the size of Jodi Piccoult's book, so I put it off, but I will read it eventually.

In my opinion, the best of the bunch was "The Year of Fog".  I could not put it down.  I had to know what was going to happen.  NOW, or sooner.  I finished it in 2 days!  It is about a woman whose fiance goes away for a day, leaving her in charge of his little girl.  She takes her to the beach.  They are walking along the foggy shoreline when the woman is distracted and looks away for a few moments, and the girl vanishes.  That is all I will say about it, but I will tell you that this book will really make you think about how quickly your life can change, and it will make you appreciate what you have and often take for granted.

On the flip side, for me, the worst of the bunch was "The Ten Year Nap".  For me, it was like taking a ten year nap.  SNORE! (Or SUH-NORE! as I like to say).  A book about a bunch of women who stop working when they have children, and don't go back.  They're unfulfilled, empty, lost, and jealous of the working moms.  But, the working moms are also tired, bitter, and unhappy, and jealous of the stay at home moms.  So basically, read this book if you want to be depressed and feel like being a woman = unhappiness.  As much as it annoyed me, I kept reading because I was sure things would work out in the end.  Everyone would realize that whatever their choices, they are just that - their CHOICES, and that things are not as bad as they think, and they should appreciate what they have.  Nope.  Just wallowing in misery until the very last page.  Skip it.

The Sophie Kinsella books, and the Jane Green book were all light, fun reads.  

I enjoyed Firefly Lane, but found it a bit frustrating.  It is about two life-long friends.  One, who becomes a wildly successful reporter/talk show host, but who never finds love or develops many close relationships.  The other, who has a loving husband and 3 children, but never develops her writing talent.  Women who can't have it all.  Seems to be a prevalent book theme for some annoying reason.

I highly recommend "Raising Your Spirited Child", because even though Dylan can't technically be classified as "spirited", according to the book, I still got many useful tips.  I think the author is a genius.  I think I'll do a separate post on this one.

Right now, I am reading "Eat Pray Love".  I am finding it very interesting - reading the book AFTER seeing the movie.  I find myself asking "If I had done the movie, would I have done it that way?"  Maybe I'll do a post on it when I finish, but then again, it is fall now, so don't necessarily be expecting it anytime soon.  My TV shows are going to be starting soon.  (I know.  Pathetic.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! I have to tell you that the size of Jodi Picoult's novels intimidate me as well, but they are so well written and the stories are so wonderful that they go by in a snap.

And if you are pathetic, I am something worse. I actually printed a copy of the fall television line-up to make sure I knew when my favorite returning shows start and so I could decide what new shows I want to catch. Most nights, after the kids go to bed, that is my best company!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

My book club read Firefly Lane a book or two ago. We agreed that it read an awful lot like Beaches, that old Bette Midler movie. Total formula. But fun.

blue china studio happy said...

So which was your favorite from the group?
I just happen to be reading Firefly Lane right now. It seems entertaining enough so far.

Burgh Baby said...

I hope to have a post like this next summer. Fingers crossed!

Elissa said...

can i just tell you how much i love that you, too, have "tv shows" of great importance. i cannot wait to be entertained :-) i'm mostly a comedy/dramedy sort of girl. what's on your docket?

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Raising your Spirited Child was one of my bible's (along with The Difficult Child). I think having read those books made my child (Danger Boy) less difficult--though still
spirited enough.

I also loved The Year of Fog--so compelling.

Blogger said...

I earn $20 for completing a 20 minute survey!

Guess what? This is exactly what major companies are paying for. They need to know what their average customer needs and wants. So large companies pay $1,000,000's of dollars per month to the average person. In return, the average person, like myself, participates in surveys and gives them their opinion.