Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Dear Dylan

Dear Dylan,

Now that you are four, I find myself wanting to squeeze as much "fourness" as I can out of my days.  I want to swim in it, to eat it up, to bask in all its glory, because four seems especially magical to me.

So, let me tell you the three words that I would use to describe you at the wonderful age of four - Creative, Smart, and Joyful.

You are Creative.  Your brain is constantly coming up with new ideas.  Toys are seldom used for what they were intended for.  A block is "a piece of cake", a pillow is a "castle", a butterfly net is a "cooker's hat".  The thing about creative play is that it can be quite messy, so I have to try to just go with the flow.

You like to make up your own games, and get your Daddy and I to play them with you.  We are often confused as to how exactly someone wins the game - that part never seems important to you.

Ever since you became obsessed with The Little Einsteins, (around 3 1/2), you've loved mazes, or "pathes".




Yes, you are definitely Smart.  You are doing simple addition and subtraction problems, and starting to sound out words.  Your memory astounds your Daddy and I.  You memorize books, character's lines in your videos, and the words to songs you've only heard a few times.

But, more important than being smart, in my book, is being wise, and you are that also.  You know what matters in life.  Like the other day, when I asked what you want to do with the money in your bank, and you said, "Give it to the poor people".  Or, when we asked what you wanted for your birthday, and you said, "I don't need any more toys".  You seem to find more joy in experiences than in things, and that makes me incredibly proud.

The adjective that I use the most to describe you is Joyful.  You are usually in a good mood, smiling that infectious smile of yours.  You love to laugh and you do it loudly!  You do everything loudly!  I'm not sure you have a quiet voice.



You love music.  You love to sing and dance.  You still love "Puppy".  (Wonder how long that will last?!)

You love your Daddy.  I try not to take it personally when you tell me Daddy is number 1, and I'm number 2.  Number 2 is not too shabby, after all. (But, you don't have to rub it in ALL the time).


I love you, Dylan, my sweet ambassador of joy.
Love,
Mommy

7 comments:

blue china studio happy said...

This is such a sweet, sweet post. What a special letter for Dylan to read when he is older.

feather said...

i love the maze of books! genius!

these birthday letters are my favorite part of celebrating my kids' birthdays. what a beautiful letter for dylan.

Brooke said...

Four is a magical age! Enjoy it :D
PS - I am #2 always - with BOTH boys now... boooo...hoooo.....

Elissa said...

that is so darling and so special. what a blessing that little boy is. yay you for raising him! #2 is not shabby AT ALL... i'm usually far removed from that with at least ONE of mine ;-)

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Oh, that last picture has me teary.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

I love that last picture!

Those mazes are really something else!

What a sweet post about a sweet kid I hope to meet someday!

The Girls' Mommy said...

Oh, he will cherish this.

And that book maze is pretty darn awesome.