Tuesday, January 4, 2011

J-O-Y

I don't get as much time as I'd like to write posts for this blog.  Things happen all the time that I want to write about, but it is the finding time to sit down and write that is the problem.  Sometimes, I like to challenge myself to tie two posts into one.  Like today!

Last night, Jim created "Daddy Ball".  The game involves putting two light sticks (we got when we went to see the lights at Hartwood Acres (AWESOME!)), together to make a circle.  Then, you try to roll 3 balls in such a way that they stay in the circle, but don't go past it, from across the room.


Today, I created "Mommy Ball", and Dylan created "Dylan Ball".  Mine involves trying to hit 5 cups down with various sized balls (you get 3 tries).

  Dylan's involves rolling a ball through a space made by propping a guitar on stuff, to hit over a heavy game propped up.  When I was able to hit over the game, but he wasn't, he decided his game was "not a very good game".
But, we had fun, and I was reminded once again how simple it really is to make your kid/kids happy.  You don't need to spend a lot of money on fancy toys.  You don't even need to be all that creative.  You just have to spend time with them.

Something completely bizarre happened this week.  Back when all the Christmas cards were pouring in (I miss getting mail!), we got a card from one of my ex-employers.  On the front, there was an adorable picture of her two girls.  On the inside, three smaller photos of them, and then a quote.

Sometimes Jim doesn't even see some of the cards we get.  If I get the mail, I confess that I might immediately put it in the Christmas card holder before he even sees it.  So, on New Year's Eve, I brought out the stack of cards and we looked through them, while drinking Rum & Cokes.  (Yes, we are wild and crazy party people).

When Jim saw ex-employers card, he remarked, "Wow, I can't believe she got the photos to spell out the word JOY"  "Huh?!", I remarked, while grabbing the card to check it out.  The three pictures did spell out JOY!  "Jim, there is no way she did that on purpose! She's organized, but she can't be that organized!"
"Well, there is no way that is a coincidence!", he stated emphatically.
(I don't know if you can see it in this picture.  I wanted you to see the card, but without showing the girls' faces)


I had to know, so I sent her an email.  Here is her reply to me...

Jen………..I gasped out loud when I read your email.  Honestly, I had no intention of creating “JOY” in the photos…….I just laid them out in a way that looked good to me.  Isn’t that funny?  I can definitely see it now and am haunted by it!  What does that mean…....I created joy without even trying?!!!!!!  I am seriously a little spooked by your revelation!


  (I let her know that it was actually Jim's revelation).


Isn't that CRAZY?  I think it's a sign.  A sign that JOY can be found anywhere.  In little moments, completely unplanned and unexpected.  Like, while playing "Mommy Ball with your 4 year old.

10 comments:

Brooke said...

I love your new games. Isn't it funny how creative you get to entertain the kiddos when stuck in doors.

Elissa said...

here, i believe, is the trick to the revelation: joy is EASILY created, but one needs to be looking to FIND it. like your simple games with dylan creating a simple and easy joy for the two of you, but had your attitude been different it might not have been joyful at all. this is a wonderful reminder to me today that, more often than not, happiness and contentment is a choice.

happy new year to you, j. glad we've met. wishing you a wonderful and joy filled year. (and possibly some size 11 N awesome leaf crunching boots on the clearance rack)

blue china studio happy said...

I love the story about the "joy" card. That is amazing. And I believe joy can be found pretty much anywhere but sometimes you have to look a little harder to see it.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I glanced at the card before reading the rest and thought, "Cute--they spelled JOY."

I once did a really cool thing where I stood on a ladder and had the kids (dressed all in red) use their bodies to spell out the letters D-A-D. It was totally cute. Hmmm, I wonder where it is.

Burgh Baby said...

I'd say you managed to tie two posts together quite well!

Anonymous said...

Have I told you lately how awesome you are? You are so very right about finding joy in the little and simple things in life - a very timely reminder for me!

JCK said...

That is SO cool! I love those kind of mysterious things. And to think that it is hidden JOY. Love it!

I also am an admirer of Mommy Ball and your creativity. What I want to know is this...are your cups discards from one of your evenings gone wild? LOL

Happy New Year, Jen! I hope it's a great one.

Amber said...

I think you've got to be pretty joyful to recognize it. So many people would have glanced at that picture and thought nothing of it. But your hubby. He's onto something. It's like that saying "Those who do not believe themselves to be beautiful cannot recognize beauty in others." Your hubby must be filled with JOY. And I suspect being married to you (and a few rousing games of "Daddy Ball") might have something to do with that!

The Girls' Mommy said...

HA! I love it! I totally see it.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

That is so cool! What a great thought and great coincidence!

Jonathan wants to play the cup game now. We'll just steal everything from you now...we already stole the "kid in the sandwich game". Jonathan still asks me to make him into a sandwich and he keeps me wanting to do it. He laughs so hard his face turns all red.